The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   How do you give supplements without sweet feed to mix it with? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/how-do-you-give-supplements-without-60017/)

Jordan S 07-17-2010 09:51 PM

How do you give supplements without sweet feed to mix it with?

I've heard many people say hay with vitamin supplementation is fine. If theres no sweet feed, how do you mix in the vitamins? I've been trying to figure this out, Eragon is on 4 flakes of hay a day, 2 alfalfa, 2 um something else I'm not sure what it is, it's yellow colored. And a pound of oat hay pellets.

It was rumored that he reacts badly to high molasses levels in sweet feeds, but what grain mixes don't have molasses????, so we are stuck on hay and oat hay pellets. He needs to gain 100-150 pounds. We are thinking we want to supplement but don't know what'd we'd mix it with, grain would be so hopeful too but like i said, what grain or complete pellet doesn't have molasses?

the lady at the feed shop said corn oil, and loose vitamin/mineral mixes wouldn't mix well with the oat hay pellets and that the corn oil would be hard to distrubute, making it easy for him to avoid it if he pleases, and that the supplement powder might sink to the bottom and that my best bet was mixing it with something moist.

Incase I lost you

1. do you know of any pre-mix grain mixes or grain-based pellet that are low in molasses or molasses free

2. How do you supplement if you only feed hay and have nothing to mix it with?

MIEventer 07-17-2010 10:33 PM

Check out this product:

Purina Horse Feeds - WELLSOLVE

And this one:

http://horse.purinamills.com/product...2-0032677.aspx

Jordan S 07-17-2010 10:54 PM

I was eyeing the strategy, I'd love a complete pellet to complement the hay that'd knock the need for supplementation. I just wasn't sure of the molasses content, have you happened to buy it and read the ingredients(considering purina won't put up the ingredient list on the site).

wild_spot 07-18-2010 04:31 AM

I feed Hygain Zero which is a complete feed with NO molasses and NO grain or grain by products. I'm sure there are others out there.

You can buy ration balancers which are highly concentrated vit/min pellets designed to be fed in a low dose to supply the needed vit/min.

If I had a powder supplement to give I would mix it with a handful os soaked Speedi-Beet - Impossible to sift out and still healthy.

Peggysue 07-18-2010 09:30 AM

I feed free choice hay and a ration balancer I mix any extras right into my ration balancer and they eat it no problem

chances are your boys isn't reacting to molasses but the grain content of the feed.

Being in CA look for LMF Super Supplement, PUrina's Enrich32 or 12, or Triple Crown's 30% or 12% supplement depending on your hay type

The only other supplement you should need with any of these is joint supplements as needed

Jordan S 07-19-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild_spot (Post 694520)

You can buy ration balancers which are highly concentrated vit/min pellets designed to be fed in a low dose to supply the needed vit/min.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peggysue (Post 694623)
I feed free choice hay and a ration balancer I mix any extras right into my ration balancer and they eat it no problem

chances are your boys isn't reacting to molasses but the grain content of the feed.

Being in CA look for LMF Super Supplement, PUrina's Enrich32 or 12, or Triple Crown's 30% or 12% supplement depending on your hay type

The only other supplement you should need with any of these is joint supplements as needed

Thank you!!!!!!! I'll ask the lady at the feed store if they carry ration balancers.

Peggysue 07-19-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan S (Post 695343)
Thank you!!!!!!! I'll ask the lady at the feed store if they carry ration balancers.

Ask for them BY name if not you'll get that "HUH" look they will have no clue :)

kchfuller 07-19-2010 12:14 PM

Check out LMF Super Supplement- it's a RB :D

Welcome to a LMF Feeds

Alwaysbehind 07-19-2010 12:20 PM

Jordan, before you decide on a new feeding routine for your horse make sure your trainer/boarding barn is willing to accommodate your new feeding routine.

For weight gain I normally add soaked beet pulp pellets. Though you can feed them dry with out any problem. I like to soak them because the one horse I give them to is not a good drinker and this allows me to know that she has gotten a certain amount of water.

To answer the question in the title. My easy keeper gets several supplements. I simply put them over a cup of hay stretcher pellets. If he is being fussy (sometimes, very rare though) I wet the hay stretcher pellets and the supplements stick well to that.

luvs2ride1979 07-19-2010 01:02 PM

I used bagged chopped alfalfa hay. Both powder and liquid supplements mix very well in with it. A 3 qt feed scoop holds about 1.5 lbs of the chopped hay I use, so you don't have to worry about feeding too many extra calories and such. I use just 1/2 of a scoop for my "easy keepers."

You don't have to worry about soaking or wetting the hay, like you do with beet pulp or hay pellets and powdered supplements.