The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   I really need some questions answered!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/i-really-need-some-questions-answered-60019/)

wannahorse22 07-17-2010 10:13 PM

I really need some questions answered!!

• Is a sand-based footing (covered with rubber mats and shavings)in a stall ok? Is it fine with drainage?
  • Can horses ride fine in snow?
  • What type of hay do you think is best to feed a horse?
  • What do you wash a stall walls with to prevent cobwebs?
  • What medium weight blanket do you think is best?
  • Does regular grass (grown from laid grass seed) hurt horses?
  • How do you keep away bugs form your barn/horse?
  • Do horses REALLY need a pasture shed if they are put in their stall during bad weather?
Any other tips would be much appreciated!!!:D

SorrelHorse 07-17-2010 10:57 PM

I can't answer all of those questions, but I can answer most.

If I didn't answer, I either don't know/don't remember or inthe blanket case, too many answers. Depends.

Can horses ride fine in snow? -- Yup. You have to be careful though because they can get snowpacked on their feet really easy.

What type of hay do you think is best to feed a horse? -- Depends. I like Alfalfa but some horses fettoo hot on that so they get grass hay. I really like to have them on full time pasture though.

How do you keep away bugs form your barn/horse? -- I use Repel X fly spray before a ride and in the stalls you can put three pennies in a bag of water and they stay away.

Do horses REALLY need a pasture shed if they are put in their stall during bad weather? -- No. In fact mine are out on pasture all year round with no problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

My Beau 07-18-2010 07:44 AM

Is a sand-based footing (covered with rubber mats and shavings)in a stall ok? Is it fine with drainage?
I don't see why not, although I don't know anyone who uses sand. Most have stone. The sand may cause the mats to shift a bit more then usual.

Can horses ride fine in snow?
It depends on the depth of the snow, if it's just a few inches - yes. I'd say if it's up to their knees then it becomes a bit more of a workout. And of course you need to be careful so they don't slip. You also needs to be sure there isn't a thin layer of ice on top of the snow because that can cut their coronet bands.

What type of hay do you think is best to feed a horse?
It depends what you're trying to do (add weight, maintenance, feed a broodmare) but for my 3 I prefer orchard grass or a timothy/orchard grass mix.

What do you wash a stall walls with to prevent cobwebs?
I just take a small broom and knock them down every few weeks.

What medium weight blanket do you think is best?
Anything with a high enough denier to stand up to the rigors my horses sometimes put them through. I do like rider's international blankets though.

Does regular grass (grown from laid grass seed) hurt horses?
Nope - our pasture was started as grass seed. You only need to worry about it if you have a pregnant mare because fescue grass can cause issues with the fetus.

How do you keep away bugs form your barn/horse?
We use fly spray, fly masks and fly traps around the outside of the barn.

Do horses REALLY need a pasture shed if they are put in their stall during bad weather?
I think they do, they need the option to get out of the rain. We don't have a run in so before thunderstorms I bring them into their stalls.

Last week it was 95* and I was at work when it started raining, as soon as I got home I pulled the horses in and my TB mare was shivering like no other, even though it was hot outside... she was just so wet. Wouldn't have happened if we had a run in.

Chella 07-18-2010 08:02 AM

Sand is fine with/out the mat add shavings
Horses are great in the snow (I live in Minnesota) ride w/o metal shoes they are like sleds on ice.
I like grass Hay no alfalfa
I don't blanket (and I live in MN)
Grass in your front yard that is green/thick and lush might hurt the horse to rich.
I like Pyrhanna fly spray
I like run in sheds to shade/rain/wind
I rarely stall my horses It goes from 40 below to 100 and humid here.

As you can see horses and people all have different opinions what works best a lot of it is trial and error to see what works for you and your horse.

wannahorse22 07-18-2010 08:55 AM

Thanks for the grreat answers everyone!!

vivache 07-18-2010 09:16 AM

If you have sand substrate, you may have to keep up on sand-clear to keep the colic levels down. ;)

MaggiStar 07-18-2010 02:55 PM

• Is a sand-based footing (covered with rubber mats and shavings)in a stall ok? Is it fine with drainage? I have rubber mats but on concrete and with straw as long as you muck out dail it is fine my girls dont really understand to dirty the back and do it backwards they sleep in the back and dirty the front!
  • Can horses ride fine in snow? yes as long as its slow work and not to deep. Also best if you know where your riding really well so you dont end up in an area with rabbit holes etc. Before you ride in snow though grease the inside of there feet with hof grease to stop the snow balling up and making an ice rink!
  • What type of hay do you think is best to feed a horse? i use hay cut from our grass fields alot of people i know like a mix of timothy and alfalfa
  • What do you wash a stall walls with to prevent cobwebs? when my horses come in for winter and go out for summer i disinfect all the stables and clean the down with a brush i powerhouse my mats off anddisconnect the water throughs(if you cant do this at least empty them when your horse next comes in so its fresh water) that way come stable time your horse isnt going into a filthy stall.
  • What medium weight blanket do you think is best?Im not from america but its basically down to personal preference though if your getting a hardy horse there is no need to blanket IMO there tough enough to live out and if it gets freezing bring them in. There is a wide selection of different weights ets youc can get ful necks half nec high wither or just normal cut so whichever you choose.
  • Does regular grass (grown from laid grass seed) hurt horses? No as far as i know its ok as long as its not super lush
  • How do you keep away bugs form your barn/horse? in the summer your horses should be out 24-7 there is no need to stay in really they should be out exercising and grazing all day to much stable time leads to serious vices and behavious problems so take the oppertunity to leave them out as much as possible If it doesnt get cold until nove leave them out until then. For bugs fly sheets and sprays and add some garlic to there feed.
  • Do horses REALLY need a pasture shed if they are put in their stall during bad weather? No not at all if there is trees or bushes in your field LEAVE them there is no point babying them in my opinion a horse can survive a thunder storm in the field once there is some tree cover

wannahorse22 07-19-2010 08:47 AM

^^^^^^
I thought the same thing about the pasture shed thing. But my dad wants one because "they look cool". lol