The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How many disciplines? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-many-disciplines-60032/)

Poco1220 07-18-2010 12:48 AM

How many disciplines?

I have a 7 y/o APHA. His previous owner used him for barrels/poles/ general speed classes and he placed every time. I have done this some with him but I don't enjoy
it so we don't really compete. However he will run a pattern well and without question if asked.

Shortly before buying him I showed him western pleasure and he did fairly well. Good enough to place at local shows and without issue. However Im not a western rider by nature and wanted to go back to English.

Last year we started English pleasure with no issues and he seemed content. We also worked on basic tricks which he seems to catch onto very quickly. Late fall we began over jumps which he really enjoys. He's competed
over jumps this summer (2'9 and under for now) and has a very happy, willing attitude without any refusals at all.

Now Im interested in teaching him to drive next summer. He has done well with anything Ive asked of him so far, seems eager to learn, and thoroughly enjoys the new activities. He is very people oriented and I use the variety of disciplines to keep us both from getting bored with one thing.

Is it okay to teach him to drive next year? Is this much variety a good thing or just too much? ( we also regularly trail/road ride with no spools or issues.)
Posted via Mobile Device

ridergirl23 07-18-2010 01:21 AM

Theres no such thing as too much training on a horse :)
I think its great hes learning so many! as long as you dont rush it and mash them all together to really confuse him, lol, or get mad when he accidently does a western move in english, but those shouldnt hapen after a while :)

Sunny 07-18-2010 01:49 PM

I think it's great that you're cross-training. It will keep him occupied, and it will make him a more well-rounded horse. In the event that you'd ever have to sell him, you would certainly have more interested buyers with a horse who has experience in a little bit of everything.
Posted via Mobile Device