The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Bobbie's first dressage show (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/bobbies-first-dressage-show-60052/)

sarahver 07-18-2010 10:59 AM

Bobbie's first dressage show

2 Attachment(s)
Well I took my lovely mare Bobbie to her first dressage show yesterday and boy did she make me work to get her in the placings!

Her story so far: I bought her at the start of May, she raced until she was five years old, then was turned out for two years and left untouched, literally, she is 7 years old now. We have worked very very hard so that she is responsive and calm, so far she is doing brilliantly. She works softly and in a thick rubber eggbut snaffle, is light on the leg and on the mouth and tries her heart out for me. She occasionally has a 'moment' which results in some bad behaviour but now that I know her better it seems to be when she is pushed out of her comfort zone she has a bit of a melt down. With plenty of work thoses 'moments' are now few and far between as she is more accustomed to me asking for different things from her.

So yesterday was her first dressage show, I entered her in the Introductory A and B classes, nothing too demanding just wanted to start getting her out there. Well she was a mess from the second she unloaded from the trailer, she thought she was back at the track. Typical ex racehorse behaviour and I did expect it but man she really had a fit! After a very very solid warm up we went in for the Intro A class and she did the test but was very tense throughout. After another solid warm up we went in for the Intro B class which was somewhat better although she was still uptight.

We placed fourth in Intro A and third in Intro B so pretty successfull overall, I am proud of her and the nerves will wear off as she goes to more and more events. The only piccie I have is of us with our fourth place ribbon as it was too hot to stick around and take pictures at the end of the day!! Thankfully she was a little more subdued at that stage.

MIEventer 07-18-2010 11:12 AM

Great pics! I love the big smile, and you both look great together! Congrats on your first dressage show :)

ridergirl23 07-18-2010 11:28 AM

congrats!!! nextwime with go better! :) shes very pretty!

sarahver 07-18-2010 11:59 AM

Thanks guys! What a workout we both had yesterday, I can feel every muscle in my body this morning. She was entered today as well but she has pulled up a bit stiff and sore, probably from working so hard in the hot sun so I am scratching her. Best not to ask too much too soon you know?

Ah, the joy of ex racehorses!!

kmacdougall 07-18-2010 12:31 PM

CONGRATS! You both look great :)

sarahver 07-18-2010 12:40 PM

Thank you!! We looked even more impressive when we were airborne at the start of the show, Lipizzaner style, luckily no photo evidence of that!