The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Help with tree sap? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/help-tree-sap-60089/)

Kawairashii Ichigo 07-18-2010 09:42 PM

Help with tree sap?

So my boy decided the other day to find and rub against the one tree with sap. Dx And of course I found him the next morning with a sticky clustery mess right down to the skin (He got it all on the side of his neck and around his ear). I gave him a bath right away and keep trying to wash it out, and it slowly seems to be falling out with the hair (once it dried up) but I was just wondering if any one knew any good ways of getting rid of it quicker and helping the hair. We already covered up any tree that could get sap on him so getting more isn't a problem, but getting rid of the last of it's a bugger. I was considering using MTG, but I'm so allergic to it I wouldn't be able to touch him till it's worked it's magic and for sure been washed out with a few baths... So all being said, any advice would be loved~

equiniphile 07-18-2010 10:00 PM

MTG is great, but if you're allergic to it I guess that's not an option.....I'm interested to see what others post so i can file it away in my personal internal records :-P

yukontanya 07-18-2010 10:06 PM

Goo Gone, I own a maid service, and I have fallen in love with this stuff, gets anything out fast and pain free. I have not used it on a animal my self (Yet), but I would use it on my horses. Just make sure to rinse and wash the area well after. and a little goes a long way.
Goo Gone Cleaners | (heres the stuff)

equiniphile 07-18-2010 10:08 PM

Eh....I'd be worried about irritating the horse's skin. I have some of that but personally, I would never use it on a horse.

yukontanya 07-18-2010 10:11 PM

I use it all the time with bare hands, and have not had any problems. Just a idea, hope you find something that works for you.

PaintHorseMares 07-18-2010 10:16 PM

You need an oil based cleaner to get sap (or just about any really sticky stuff) out. 'Goo Gone' works really well, and you can find it just about anywhere in the aisle with cleaning products. After getting the sap out, I wash the area with some soap just to get the cleaner off.

PaintHorseMares 07-18-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yukontanya (Post 695088)
I use it all the time with bare hands, and have not had any problems. Just a idea, hope you find something that works for you.

:-) I posted after you did. I use all the time on my hands and on our mares for getting pine sap off. It's not toxic to the skin and just leaves you with a little oily feel if you don't rinse with soap and water.

yukontanya 07-18-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 695097)
:-) I posted after you did. I use all the time on my hands and on our mares for getting pine sap off. It's not toxic to the skin and just leaves you with a little oily feel if you don't rinse with soap and water.

Thanks, I do use the stuff at work a lot, and I just wipe my hands and keep cleaning, I know the oily feel your talking about. I have yet to use it on my horse. Glad to know someone else has already tried it, its now going into my tack box LOL

Cheers

equiniphile 07-18-2010 10:43 PM

Huh....I'll have to try it for stuff like that then!

Just Ruthiey 07-18-2010 10:57 PM

Ooo... I will so have to try that stuff! I keep putting Fairy's bath off because she is so sappy (lol). *Runs out to the 24/7 super market*
Thanks so very much!