The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   us older gals (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/us-older-gals-60100/)

dizzynurse 07-18-2010 11:36 PM

us older gals

Not saying anyone of us is old! I'm just now starting out riding. I went to a fun show (just to watch) I felt kinda weird cuz most of the riders were teens and kids. Did anyone else who started out as an adult feel strange at first?
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 07-18-2010 11:47 PM

Look at this thread... I bet it'll answer all your questions! :wink:

http://www.horseforum.com/english-ri...ossible-59208/

corinowalk 07-19-2010 12:19 AM

Just got back from a show a few hours ago and I totally felt the same. I was a young rider (started at 12) but just started back about a year ago. Alot has changed and I'm not the same hell-bent kid I once was. I have a horse that could have smoked some of the competition there but I cant help myself holding him back. Not to mention age has dropped my desire to compete. Good luck with showing...its fun if its your thing.

blink 07-19-2010 10:45 PM

I was congratulated in one of my other posts for taking up riding at an "older" age (42).

I went to a club show just last week with my family. The point was to see some beautiful horses, let the girls have a look at some of their riding options, and just spend some time as a family doing something we all enjoy.

The riders in this particular show ranged from 10 to mid-50's (best guess). I don't know how I might have felt if the show had been nothing but kids. I do know that when I'm at the stables, the average rider is easily young enough to be my own offspring.

I expected some of the "look at the old-timer, mid-life crisis guy - guess he couldn't afford a Ferrari..."

Honestly, I didn't get it. Likewise, when I visited the local equine college (William Woods) and toured the stables, all the of the college kids were gracious, engaging, and not the least bit condescending.

So, while I can appreciate your uneasiness, I think it might be misplaced. With very few exceptions, all the horse people I've met, of all ages, races, and walks of life, have been gracious, encouraging, and anxious to share their passion with others.

I'd say, to the best of your ability, don't let it make you too uncomfortable. Just smile and feel good that you bring maturity and perspective to a lifestyle that transcends age.

Or you could make a point of telling them that life is just waiting to dash all their hopes and dreams.

One of those should work.

blink

dizzynurse 07-20-2010 11:11 AM

thanks Blink! That is a great way to look at things! I def. will incorporate that into my life:)

Ridehorses99 07-20-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blink (Post 696209)
I was congratulated in one of my other posts for taking up riding at an "older" age (42).

I'd say, to the best of your ability, don't let it make you too uncomfortable. Just smile and feel good that you bring maturity and perspective to a lifestyle that transcends age.

Or you could make a point of telling them that life is just waiting to dash all their hopes and dreams.

One of those should work.

blink

Very well said. I took up showing at the young age of 44 and I am loving every minute of it. My friend (who is 42 and took up showing as a 40 year old) and I travel to Open Shows and some breed shows. We have been surprised at how many "adults" we have met who show and compete on a regular basis. We have met some great friends and we can't wait to go to the next event. As a matter of fact, we have not recruited another friend into traveling and showing with us. This friend is over 50.
Life is too short......enjoy every minute.

dizzynurse 07-20-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridehorses99 (Post 696594)
Life is too short......enjoy every minute.

That is so true!:-P