The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Owning Horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/owning-horse-60150/)

sammy1989 07-19-2010 02:08 PM

Owning Horse?

hey i need alot of help here im now 20 and got my own place well went me and my twin was young 13 we used to go up local stables and clean the 2 ponies and ride them once cleaned out and stuff, well coz i got my own place i wanted to know how much it would cost to keep a horse im going to be asking loads of questions and find info before even looking because this is a large animal to look after and i havnt been riding much since then only on hoildays here and there.
could someone give me as much info and prices please and heres a few u could answer.

What gender horse is best to ride?
what size horse would be for me im 5"4 tall and about 9 stones?
horse main diet? is this hay 1st then pellet mix and grass?
horse weekly cost for shoeing and stuff?
cost of horse items like eg. sadle?
how big a field must be?

anymore feel free to post thanks.

Speed Racer 07-19-2010 02:19 PM

What do you mean by 'got my own place'?

Are you renting or buying? Is it an apartment, or a house with acreage?

If you're serious about buying your first horse, I'd recommend boarding versus keeping it at home, at least the first several years. That way, you can learn from the BO.

Horses are expensive and time consuming. Keeping them at home means YOU'RE the one who has to always be there and caring for them.

Alwaysbehind 07-19-2010 02:26 PM

Welcome to the forum, Sammy.

Your post is kind of hard to read with no capitalization and lacking punctuation.

To attempt to answer your questions best I can.

1. Most people do have a personal preference to mares or geldings. But in the big picture of life it is more an individual horse thing. So you can not really say which is better to ride, as it is judged on a horse by horse basis.

2. 1 stone = 14 pounds so that means you are 126 pounds. Plenty small enough to ride whatever you want, really.

3. Horses main diet is long stem fiber. Be it grass or hay. Other feeds can be added if an individual needs extra calories to keep weight on if the available pasture/hay is not enough.

4. Costs vary greatly depending on where you live. You will have to get a better idea from people who are in your area.

sammy1989 07-19-2010 02:36 PM

sorry im not the best with writing :D

yeah i got my own place with my fiance house there is LOADS of people with horses and stuff here and my cousin got acres of land that she and her granch keep horses they show they horses.

i know they not the cheapest things to keep and im looking to do riding and showing but this is goign to take alot of time to understand now coz it has changed alot since i was riding up the farm the time thing isnt a problem im up 5am everyday for work i only work 5 hours and got all day i got alot of pets now i look after too and im not getting a horse untill i know i can afford it coz this is why im asking now to find out.

sammy1989 07-19-2010 02:37 PM

[QUOTE=Speed Racer;695743]What do you mean by 'got my own place'?

Are you renting or buying? Is it an apartment, or a house with acreage?

If you're serious about buying your first horse, I'd recommend boarding versus keeping it at home, at least the first several years. That way, you can learn from the BO.

Horses are expensive and time consuming. Keeping them at home means YOU'RE the one who has to always be there and caring for them.[/QUOTE]

who else would look after MY own pet? i expect i will be looking after A horse myself full time lol i dont rely on anyone to care for any animal i own lol

Speed Racer 07-19-2010 02:50 PM

Oh, I see; you consider horses pets. I do not. To me (and the local authorities) they're livestock.

What you need to do is find out what your municipality requires concerning the housing of livestock in your area. You'll need to know the minimum acreage requirements, fencing requirements, as well as what the local laws are concerning shelter.

You also need to find out if your area is zoned for livestock. If it's not, then you won't be able to put a horse on your land regardless of what the neighbors do or don't have.

Horses are a continuous expense. Their purchase price is actually the smallest amount you'll ever pay when it comes to them.

Horses also live a very long time. They're not like dogs or cats whose lifespans are measured in 10 to 15 years, they're measured in decades. I have a 24 y/o pasture pouf who was retired at 21 due to arthritis issues. You have to remember that even if a horse isn't being ridden, it still eats and needs the same care as one who is. Sometimes it needs even more care, depending on its physical issues.

So you're asking how much an animal costs is immaterial. The costs vary wildly depending on the breed and type you choose, as well as whether or not they require special shoes, or ongoing medical care.

That is why I recommended you board for several years prior to bringing the animal home. If the horse is in an environment where someone actually knows what they're doing, the chances of you farking it up become less.