The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Bridles, Bridles, Bridles... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/bridles-bridles-bridles-60163/)

AngelWithoutWings54 07-19-2010 04:15 PM

Bridles, Bridles, Bridles...

So I got my Dover catalog the other day, and I was looking through it and noticed that they have AMAZING deals on bridles. I have a bridle, and I like it, but it's not padded and a little beat up. My Birthday is coming up, so I thought that I would put these on the forum to see if any of them are actually good bridles.

1. Suffolk Fancy Snaffle Bridle
List Price- $59.95
Sale For- $29.90

2. Suffolk Plain Snaffle Bridle
List Price- $54.95
Sale For- $29.90

3. Suffolk Premier Fancy-Stitched Bridle
List Price- $89.95
Sale For- $39.90

Has anyone heard any good things about these bridles? Do you think it would be worth it to buy another bridle when I already have a functional one?

CharliGirl 07-19-2010 05:07 PM

I bought this one:
Dover Saddlery | Suffolk Dressage Bridle .

The quality was poor. It was stiff, smelly, and a bit cracked when I took it out of the package. I bought the black and white dressage bridle by Suffolk, and you could tell the white was painted on--already flaking off a bit when I unwrapped it. I ended up returning it, and buying this bridle:

Dover Saddlery | Horseware Amigo Event Bridle .

I absolutely love this one! It is soft, supple and of excellent quality. The buckles are easy to function and adjust. It has beautiful craftsmanship. This bridle cost more than I had hoped on spending, but it is well worth it.

...and you can never have too many bridles...one for every occasion! :D

My Beau 07-19-2010 05:44 PM

Suffolk bridles are hit or miss in my opinion. I have seen some that look fair, but require a lot of oil. Others are VERY stiff. They make fine schooling bridles, but I would most likely not compete in them though.

kitten_Val 07-19-2010 08:28 PM

I've looked at Suffolk when I was in Dover in person looking for the bridle. They are indian-made, stiff, and not smooth on touch (you can tell the leather is junk).

Angel, you are in MD, right? I'd suggest to go to Dover in person (there are 2 in area) - sometime they have amazing in-store close-outs on bridles, or go to Gayers Saddlery. While the Gayers hm-hm is a funny place to deal with they have very nice deals as well. I got my european-made dressage bridle there for I believe $70, brand new, nice leather, and even my instructor commented on how nice it is.

ikle pickle 07-20-2010 03:49 PM

My hubby has just made this one today, it is soo plain for us lol:lol: Here is the link for you to look at xx
Handmade English Leather Bridle with stainless steel on eBay (end time 19-Aug-10 20:15:05 BST)

luvs2ride1979 07-20-2010 06:26 PM

Sulfolks are imported from India. Not good quality. IMO, they are priced right at $30-40. I wouldn't pay more than that for one.

kchfuller 07-20-2010 06:51 PM

I have this bridle and use it for schooling .. it took a little to get it broken in but after a few good oils and using it- i like it. It isn't the BEST bridle but is good for at home...

Dover Saddlery | Collegiate Fancy Raised Bridle .