The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Horse Shipping (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/horse-shipping-6018/)

appylover31803 02-12-2008 07:13 PM

Horse Shipping

My boyfriend and I are looking into getting a 3rd horse that we could possibly lease out and also have it around when family comes out. I am also looking for a baby, but i don't know what that would be happening. But i was wondering if you can ship horses cross country? I think you can, but is it wise to do that? I'm leaning toward no, but want to know if anyone has any experience in buying a horse and had it shipped to them. Good and bad experiences please.

Thanks a lot!!

tim 02-12-2008 07:23 PM

I havn't had any personal experience but friend of mine bought a horse in Texas and had it shipped up to Virginia. He's also bought horses from other far off states and had them brought here. But it was always either him driving or someone associated with his trainer. They also do a lot of trailering for shows.

It's not a bad thing as long as you trust the driver. Poeple do it all the time for showing.

appylover31803 02-12-2008 07:27 PM

Thanks Tim!

Sara 02-12-2008 07:45 PM

My friend's parents had a gelding shipped from California to Virginia a couple of years ago...he actually arrived in VA pretty sick (he was anemic and then caught some nasty bug). However, I don't know how much of that was due to his condition before he was shipped and how much was due to the actual trip.

They used a company that specializes in horse shipping: he arrived in a semi-truck that had been totally tricked out for horses...was pretty impressive:P For a baby though...I don't know. I think they do better with a companion horse making the trip with them. And also, Cali to Va is a pretty extreme example, that's almost a 2 week trip.

I'll ask them more of the details next time I see them.

appylover31803 02-12-2008 09:18 PM

I saw this beautiful colt out in CA and would love to have him $900!! According to the person selling him, she lost all her help and needs to sell her horses. I don't know how much babies go for, but i'd be a little suspicious of the price. Unless prices in CA are less then NJ.

I would think going from CA to NJ would be just around the same 2 week time, as it was for your friend. I would worry about the horse coming to be sick and then getting all upset because instead of getting a healthy horse, i got a sick one.

I agree that babies should travel with a buddy, id assume that would make it less traumatic on them.

If a horse was closer, i might do it, but i think CA is too far for a baby

tim 02-12-2008 09:32 PM

Yea, and really, you can probably find something similar, if not almost identical, closer by. Most people ship cross country for outstanding show horses that are hard to find, so when they find the right one, they really don't care where it's at.

Otherwise, it could be a lot of stress for you and the horse.

appylover31803 02-12-2008 09:33 PM

that's very true Tim. I just saw the baby and fell in love, and then got curious about shipping. I have a feeling when the time is right, there will be that beautiful colt, or filly for sale near by.

Sara 02-12-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim
Yea, and really, you can probably find something similar, if not almost identical, closer by. Most people ship cross country for outstanding show horses that are hard to find, so when they find the right one, they really don't care where it's at.

Otherwise, it could be a lot of stress for you and the horse.

Agreed.

AKPaintLover 02-13-2008 12:41 AM

I drove my stallion up from Alberta, Canada myself (with my husband mostly driving) and we had our mare brought up by a hauler who makes a couple of trips a year to the lower 48 & back. The hauler is very reputable, and so I have had no bad experiences with shipping.

I would probably agree with Sara and Tim though, and check out a bit closer to you when considering a weanling. Maybe check out the mid-west. Prices there are fairly low and it it not too far from you. If you find one even closer, you could go pick it up yourself.

jazzyrider 02-13-2008 12:42 AM

i had a horse shipped to me when i was about 12. that was nearly 17 years ago so things could have changed since then but everything was great. you really need to do your homework though cause many companies are dodgy and dont supply feed or anything for the journey so looking into all the different places is essential. mine only came 1000kms but had two feeds of hay and fresh water every 3 hours. it cost about $600 from what i can remember