The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   The Weight Of Your Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/weight-your-horse-6022/)

StatedOtherwise 02-12-2008 06:44 PM

The Weight Of Your Horse

There are two main concerns when a horse has to carry a heavy rider. One is the overall weight, of course. The other concern is how much AREA is distributing the weight.

A horse can often carry about 20% of his own weight. For a 1000 pound horse, 20% would be 200 pounds, rider AND tack. A very fit horse or a stout horse may be able to carry more; some breeds were specifically bred to carry heavier weights, such as the Arabian, Quarter Horse, or Icelandic pony. If a horse is made to carry too much weight, you may cause damage to his bones or skeletal structure; extra force as he moves may also cause damage to his tendons and ligaments.

If you are asking a horse to carry a heavy weight, then it is important to make sure that he can carry the overall weight; it is also important to make sure that the weight is well distributed over his back.

Pressure is Weight divided by Area (Pressure=Weight/Area). The more area carries the weight, the less the pressure will be at any individual spot (of course, the saddle must fit, and have no pressure points). Too much pressure on the surface of the skin can cause rubbing, chafing, or can slow the circulation to the muscles under the skin. Slowing the circulation to the muscles can cause oxygen deprivation in the muscle, which leads to muscle damage and muscle wastage.

Studies are not yet definitive, but it appears that a safe maximum pressure is 2 pounds per square inch. If a rider and saddle together weigh 150 pounds, then the surface of the saddle, where the panels or the bars touch the horse, should be at least 75 square inches.

http://lorienstable.com/articles/z-fitting/weight/

RacePony007 07-27-2009 08:11 PM

YES!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody seems to ever think of that type of thing, when it is truly one of the most important part of saddle fitting!!!

7Ponies 07-27-2009 08:16 PM

Aw geez, I guess I have to lose weight now ;)

Interesting, thanks for posting this!

RiosDad 07-27-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacePony007 (Post 362390)
YES!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody seems to ever think of that type of thing, when it is truly one of the most important part of saddle fitting!!!

I think of this constantly. Have for the last 25 years. The 2 psi is way off. You want 1 psi and no more. Brown's saddles worried about this alot and all their saddles had over 200 square inches.
As for weight a horse should not carry more then 20% to be successful in a 100 mile race. At 50 miles a good arab can carry up to 25% of his body weight.
My old guy weighed right in at 870 pounds and I with all equipment went heavy weight at 220 pounds. He ran 850 miles and never once had a problem. Off the official race record he ran about 30,000 miles in his own log book with never a breakdown or single time lame.
His best time was 4 1/2 hour 50 and was still strong.
I don't agree with a treeless saddle since it doesn't spread the load out enough for a heavy weight. At 2 psi the back will go numb

horseinforest 08-05-2009 12:59 AM

Very interesting, thanks. Now, i know I have to lose weight...

AussieDaisyGirl 08-05-2009 10:16 AM

Wow! That's really good to know!