The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   To sell or not to sell? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/sell-not-sell-60238/)

Chella 07-20-2010 08:12 PM

To sell or not to sell?

I own 4 horses. The one I am thinking of selling is a 16 hh Morgan. He of all my horses respects me and listens to me the most. He calls for me follows me, He loves me. He is very sure footed and should be a endurance horse even at 15 as he is all go. The problem is that he is very sensitive to all cues so when I am in the saddle and I miss cue him his response is to go faster or to crow hop. This scares me. Which scares him and so the circle begins. I have had trainers come out and ride him 2 times a week for the last year and he is the same. The trainers love him as you only ask once and he will trot all day, as fast as you want. I can afford to keep him and he is a great part of my herd he is a little mare ish and keeps the other gelding in line.
I guess is it a good life for him here? I may get my confidence back some day to ride him He is well cared for and my husband rides him once in a while but prefers his own horse. I am projecting I know but I prefer my Quarter horse who rides bitless and is a brave and steady guy and I think my Morgan knows he is second fiddle and doesn't like it. sorry for the book.

haleylvsshammy 07-20-2010 09:15 PM

If you don't think that things will work out, it's best to give him a home with somebody who can deal with him for what he is. It will be hard, but it might be unfair to keep him for awhile without much work. If you have the money and want to employ somebody to ride him while you gain confidence, you can. However, think if you will ever feel comfortable riding him, or else you'll just waste money on a horse that will never be right for you. Good luck!

cakemom 07-20-2010 09:40 PM

I am in the same camp as the above poster, he deserves to have a job, he sounds like an awesome boy!
Posted via Mobile Device

Angel_Leaguer 07-21-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haleylvsshammy (Post 697050)
If you don't think that things will work out, it's best to give him a home with somebody who can deal with him for what he is. It will be hard, but it might be unfair to keep him for awhile without much work. If you have the money and want to employ somebody to ride him while you gain confidence, you can. However, think if you will ever feel comfortable riding him, or else you'll just waste money on a horse that will never be right for you. Good luck!

agreed

iridehorses 07-21-2010 04:09 PM

I'm a big believer in selling a horse that isn't what you need - regardless. It isn't doing your horse any good becoming a pasture pet for any reason. Horses need a job.

I've sold quite a few really nice horses that just didn't work for me in what I needed at the time.

Deerly 07-22-2010 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 697703)
I'm a big believer in selling a horse that isn't what you need - regardless. It isn't doing your horse any good becoming a pasture pet for any reason. Horses need a job.

I agree with this :-)

Curly_Horse_CMT 07-22-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 697703)

I've sold quite a few really nice horses that just didn't work for me in what I needed at the time.

Agreed with wholeheartedly. If he doesn't work out for you but there is the chance that he will be enjoyed by someone else where he could get the same care but with more riding, go for it.

Chella 07-22-2010 04:35 PM

Thanks everyone. I know he belongs with someone else. I have been paying a gal for a year now to ride him 2x a week trail/arena. He is so beautiful the old style looking Morgan big neck and body and so sure footed I keep thinking he is to good to sell but yet he is to good to stay with me:( Neither one of us is getting any younger!