The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Be Completely Honest(: (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/completely-honest-60244/)

stormyweather101 07-20-2010 09:12 PM

Be Completely Honest(:

I'm not here to be told that my pony is "pretty" or "cute". i really want to know what i can do to improve on my riding. i know the jumps are small but we didnt want to kill my pony in one day of showing! no need to be nice(: but not unnecessarily rude(: thanks!

x3emilygrace 07-20-2010 11:42 PM

Is this at Sweetwater???

I could be completely wrong. I should prob go watch the rest of the videos, but I started watching the first one and it looks SO familiar

ridergirl23 07-20-2010 11:47 PM

I cant critique much, but sit more instead of 'perching' when you and your horse are in between jumps. :)

Lovehorsesandrunning 07-20-2010 11:54 PM

Okay, I'm not the BEST advice so I could be wrong. Took jumping lessons for a few years in elementary but iforget some of it and nown just go haha but I would like to get back into it! So. Your feet and heels look great! Like perfect! From what I could see clearly in the.I do think It looks like your holding the reins a little tight and not releasing at the jump, some jumps your two point is great but some it seems you snap right back up to early... But great job! What places Dix you get because you did amazing! Best of luck! Oh sorry but I can't resist your pony is very cute.
Posted via Mobile Device

azarni 07-21-2010 02:12 AM

Ridergirl, I believe the "perching" you are referring to is actually her half seat, which is normal.

I didn't look too closely at your videos, stormyweather, but what stood out to me are your arms and hands. First of all, lengthen your reins and move your elbows back so your upper arms hang parallel to your torso. Also, you need to raise your hands so there is a straight line from your elbow to your pony's bit. Right now your hands are a little low, which breaks the straight line.

I'll post again later if I see anything else!

stormyweather101 07-21-2010 07:46 PM

thanks guys! and yes this is sweetwater! good eye! and haha i was trying to lower my ponies head with my hands( which i know lowering your hands is not correct because it puts pressure on the barn of their mouth) but im pretty sure i was not thinking clearly at all that day! it was 101 out and my trainer made me keep my coat on for pleasing the judge! she was right! i got a 2nd 3rd and 1st =! Jilly was so great and yes she is ADORABLE! haha i was so proud she even got her lead change in one class so i forgot which jump to do and made up my own course... the judge thanked my or my creativity though while my mom was filming it!!

stormyweather101 07-21-2010 07:48 PM

also, haha sorry for writing such long responses.. but i did realize i was snapping back alot after jumps and im not sure why i did that... ill have to have my lesson video taped to see if its a daily thing or just a one time mess up

sandsarita 07-21-2010 10:01 PM

Overall I liked your rides - they were nice and in control with a lot of good basics, which is where you should be at this point.

For your rein length, I actually like where they are at. You have more control here than you would have if you lengthened them, and you do not have too tight a hold. A couple of times I actually saw a little loop of rein in between the jumps, a sure sign that the reins are not too tight. You might need a slightly bigger release up your pony's neck, though, to allow him to use his body more.

for your lower body, you might need to shorten your stirrups a hole. You also look like you are pinching some at your knee. Think about keeping your calf on the horse and using that area to drive him up into the bit (helping to bring his head down). Also step down into your stirrups before the jumps. Your heels sometimes float a bit over the fences.

For your pony, work on keeping him bent in the direction of travel. He is often looking to the outside on the corners, allowing him to drop his shoulder and this will make it hard to get the lead changes and will affect your rhythm to the jump. Overall he keeps a nice even pace, which is oh so important at this point and he took you to nice spots pretty consistently.

Good job overall, you are going in the right direction.

Alwaysbehind 07-22-2010 08:07 AM

I could not watch all of the videos (the shaking camera affect makes my motion sickness issues go into over drive), sorry.

In general I would say you are a nice pair.

I agree with sandsarita.

You might also work on getting your hips back just a little more when you are in your half seat. At times you were right over the pommel of your saddle instead of having your hips back over your heels. I would guess it is related to you sometimes pinching with your knees.

stormyweather101 07-22-2010 04:22 PM

just wondering... how did you guys know i pinch with my knees!? cause you are exactly right! my knees naturally turn in so i either pinch or have my feet sticking out to the sides