The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   canter leads and how to get on them (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/canter-leads-how-get-them-60319/)

lopez 07-21-2010 07:24 PM

canter leads and how to get on them

Well, to put it simply I'm confused about which is the right lead to be on. Can you guys help me out?

Also, how can you ask your horse to get onto that particular lead?

Curly_Horse_CMT 07-22-2010 02:04 PM

If you are going counterclockwise, the horse should be on their left lead, to support their weight properly and to be balenced. Vice versa for going in the opposite direction.

When my mare doesn't want to take her left lead (it is the side that she doesn't use alot when we are on the trail, since that is what I use her for prodominantly) I go in a smaller and smaller circle no matter what lead she is on until she switches onto her correct lead.

abbyshamrock 07-22-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly_Horse_CMT (Post 698529)
If you are going counterclockwise, the horse should be on their left lead, to support their weight properly and to be balenced. Vice versa for going in the opposite direction.

When my mare doesn't want to take her left lead (it is the side that she doesn't use alot when we are on the trail, since that is what I use her for prodominantly) I go in a smaller and smaller circle no matter what lead she is on until she switches onto her correct lead.

Exactly!!! Except when my horse doesn't pick up the right lead I turn her head to the rail and have her hip push away (So she's sideways) and then mainly use my leg that's on the rail to push her into the canter. She used to never get the right lead for me, but after a while of doing it, she got down right!

haleylvsshammy 07-22-2010 03:45 PM

An easy way to identify if your horse is on the correct lead is when you are on the rail, their inside shoulder should be moving further out, and reaching more with the stride than the outside shoulder (if that makes sense lol)
I cue my horse by using my inside rein to tip his head to the inside of the arena and then cueing with my outside leg to get the canter on the correct lead.

corinowalk 07-22-2010 04:01 PM

Inside lead, outside diagonal. That has been drilled into my head since I was teeny-tiny!

If your horse doesnt know to use correct leads, set him up for success by asking in corners. Its natural for them to pick up the inside lead, especially in the corners.

FoxyRoxy1507 07-22-2010 04:33 PM

whenever you ask for a lead sit on the outside seatbone to free up the shoulder your asking the lead for example- you want the right lead.. put your weight in your left seatbone and slide your left leg behind the girth. its hard for the horse to pick up the left lead bc your weight is more on that side therefore they will pick up the easiest lead which is the right! and it does help to tip their nose in the direction of the lead so sponge your inside rein- right rein to tip the head till you see the horses nostril

makin tracks 07-26-2010 03:35 PM

As a rider your inside leg establishes bend and your outside leg establishes speed.
So, as said above make sure you are not dropping your weight to the inside, keep your weight on the outside seatbone (it keeps your weight central to the horse), the horse should be bending around the circle as in you should be able to just see his inside eye.
However, make sure the bend is through the body / neck and you are not just pulling his nose around.
You need to be aware of your trot diagonals and be able to feel which one the horse is on because you need to be asking for the transition as the outside hind is strikes the ground.

If you want a right canter lead you ask when the left hind comes down and visa versa.