The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Help me find a new trainer in Oregon (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-me-find-new-trainer-oregon-60320/)

rraylutz210 07-21-2010 07:32 PM

Help me find a new trainer in Oregon

hello :D
in September I am embarking on a 36hr cross country move with my horse. We leave from Michigan to our new home in Oregon. Im so excited, but also weary. I have this amazing trainer here who I wish I could package up and take with me. She is such an incredible woman who has helped me through any question I have regarding training my show gelding. He is four years old, spur spot, and an amazing all round boy. I couldnt be happier with him. However, I hope to find a trainer out west that is as well qualified and incredible as the one I currently have. So heres my question, does anyone know of a top trainer near Eugene, OR that could help me out? I mostly show APHA and AQHA so I would really like to find someone who could help me on that level.

PBritton2U 07-21-2010 11:55 PM

Don't the Searles have an Oregon location? I just did the Oregon Summer Classic and I seem to recall seeing on their trailer that they have a Grants Pass (a couple hours away) location in addition to their Arizona facility.

Do you do regional breed shows? Or do you show at the big circuits (National)? Makes a difference as to who I would recommend.

Pamela Britton-Baer
Posted via Mobile Device

On The Bright Side 07-22-2010 12:19 AM

You can look all over the web. I know for eventing, there are a list of trainers on the USEA website. I'm sure you can look up trainers near you!

PBritton2U 07-22-2010 11:32 AM

Oh, sure. Yeah, yeah, there is. AQHA has a list of "professional hosemen" for Oregon, but I wouldn't go near some of those trainers with latex gloves. ;) A good trainer is hard to find, and asking for a recommendation is a good place to start, IMO. I wonder if the OP asked for a rec from her previous trainer. That's an option, too.

By the way, OP, welcome to the left coast!! I show in Oregon at least once a year so I'll see you around!

Pam
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 07-23-2010 05:55 PM

YES! More Oregonians!

There are lots of good trainers here, a lot of which are down closer to where I live in medford. Todd Bergen for one...but he's a reiner, which I don't think is what you want.

There is a really good one down here in White City although its quite a drive...her name is Toni Maherder and although she is brutally honest she is very versatile and can train you for whatever you want to do. Although it is quite a drive from Eugene....

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but if you're ever showing down her at the Jackson County expo drop me a PM. I may just be entered as well!

PBritton2U 07-24-2010 12:20 PM

Wish I'd known you were in Oregon, SorrelHorse. I'd have PMed you! Were you at the Classic?

Pam
Posted via Mobile Device

rraylutz210 09-16-2010 04:36 AM

wow. I just realized I never replied to my own thread! How rude am I???
Thank you PBritton2U and SorrelHorse for your warm welcomes to Oregon, pronounced Oregin as I have often been told since moving here. haha
I have yet to find a trainer, although at this point I am considering simply finishing up my gelding on my own being I have done all the elbow grease thus far. I had talked to my old instructor who had no real names out here but she was looking into for me. I have decided to start a log critique however, in which I post a video every week of showmanship/riding/whatever I do that week. Heres the URL in case you guys would like to give me some pointers.
http://www.horseforum.com/horse-ridi...que-log-64918/
Again I am very sorry I never replied, moving along with everything that comes with it seem to be quite the distraction from threads.