The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   How to prepare for a show (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/how-prepare-show-60468/)

Unwoven 07-23-2010 03:54 PM

How to prepare for a show

I'm gonna be having my first show ! I'm used to schooling shows at barns... this is one with my own horse! So I was wondering how should I prepare for a show with my horse! Grooming wise, braiding, trailering!

Tell me how you prepare!

ridergirl23 07-23-2010 04:04 PM

I bath my horse, just make sure shes all clean, and put a rug on for trailering, and shipping boots.

For braiding my horses mane is roached, but when she needed to be braided i asked my trainer to do it, it is very hard to braid rosettes! lol.

But what type of braid are you thinking of? what type of show are you going to?

Unwoven 07-23-2010 04:12 PM

I'm just taking him to a near by very well known schooling show... that tons of people go to. I'm worried him being a paint they might like...judge him if he dosent look nice and tidy. :P

and he has a really long mane, I'm willing to pull it. Just this once hehe since its his first show but uhm simple hunter plaits or any tidy braiding on his mane and tail would be nice!

ridergirl23 07-23-2010 04:42 PM

dressage? or hunter? or some type of western?

Unwoven 07-23-2010 04:55 PM

Hunter I guess it is...

ridergirl23 07-23-2010 05:04 PM

oh! okay, then, make sure you clip your horses ears and little feathers on his 'heels' that will give him a nicer more cleaned up look.
and his whiskers on his nose should be clipped to. Actually, at a schooling show i dont think you need to clip. just make sure he is very clean, his whites are white, and that he has hoof polish and is well turned out, you should be very neatly turned out too, no hair coming out from under your helmet, polished boots etc.etc.etc.

and I would do hunter braids, Managing Mane Braiding - HorseChannel.com this looked liek a good website for it. :)

Do you have a trainer or friend to help you clip and stuff if you do want to do that?

Unwoven 07-23-2010 05:10 PM

I do kinda !

Like My coach will prob help with his grooming but we both can't do braids aha. We suck. But I have a friend who might. Is it best to do it the night before? Also..

He has white feet I heard if you put baby powder on it it helps stay white and look good correct?

ridergirl23 07-23-2010 05:17 PM

It depends on your horse, do you think your horse will rub them out? Is he kept outside overnight? do you have a sleezy for him? (they can be handy... to keep thebraids in) Sleazy Sleepwear for Horses, Stretch Hoods, Horse Grooming Blankets You can get a neck one, so the braids stay in. Some horses just rub anyway though. I like to braid the night before, and then fix the ones that get wrecked overnight. But if your horse will stay in a feild with others overnight diont braid, ive seen horses braids (hair and all) be ripped out by other hroses.

Ive never heard of the baby powder, i have heard of using chalk though. :)

Unwoven 07-24-2010 04:20 PM

Thats a good idea. :) Thank you. Wish more people would answer what THEY do as well. I kinda want a schedual.

paintluver 07-24-2010 05:15 PM

When I show, I bathe Romeo the day of the show, but all of my shows are on later in the day.