The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Barn Chores (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/barn-chores-60479/)

Islandrea 07-23-2010 06:09 PM

Barn Chores

Just curious, for those of you who board and work for a boarding discount, or just plain work for a BO, what are your responsibilities?

Example:
I clean four stalls out completely once a week, pick out twice a week.
Clean out feed buckets once a week.
Clean out cross-ties everytime I am there. Very simple.

I am moving barns, and will be negotiating what my responsibilities will be. I just am curious about what others are doing.

Quedeme 07-23-2010 11:23 PM

I have personally offered many services from the simple chores you listed, to mowing, bush hogging, exercising other horses, and working on fences. I think it depends on the owner, the manager, and you what you work out.

I wish you luck though!

Islandrea 07-24-2010 11:55 AM

I totally agree that it depends on the person. Working on fences and bush hogging are two that I haven't heard of. I know for a fact that I would in no way be good at that. Did you agree to do those on a schedule, or was it a one-time deal?

Skutterbotch 07-24-2010 12:05 PM

I work off my board, not all of it, but most of it and it includes;

Cleaning stalls, sweeping ANY messes as well as at the end of the day, exercising any horses, helping with cleaning paddocks.

Amba1027 07-24-2010 12:22 PM

I do one morning and one evening "feed" shift at my barn. The chores are a little different depending on if it's morning or evening. Basically I: bring horses in/out, feed, water, blanket if its winter, clean out feed and water buckets, make up feed for the next day, etc. Everything at my barn is done by working students or the owner and I am able to entirely pay for my lessons with work.

ninjahorse 07-24-2010 01:28 PM

I don't any more, but I used to clean paddocks, clean the barn/organize, and help the beginners brush/tack up/untack.

Islandrea 07-24-2010 02:07 PM

Great. Thank you for posting. It helps.

Quedeme 07-24-2010 02:29 PM

The fencing thing is something that I offered but wasn't accepted and bush hogging is just like a large lawn mower lol. Honestly, if it got me free board, with the way the fences are out at my place, I would keep up on them regularly.

My Beau 07-24-2010 03:57 PM

When I worked at the barn where my horse was boarded I had to:
-Bring horses in/turn out
-Feed horses (there were about 22 there at any given time)
-Hay horses
-Scrub/fill water troughs
-Pick stalls (17 of them)
-Scrub/fill stall water buckets
-Throw down hay from the loft for the next day
-Sweep the aisle
-Put blankets on (winter)
-Fly spray/fly masks/sun screen (summer)
-Help beginners groom/tack/untack
-Get trainer's horses ready
-Anything else she wanted us to do, from trimming, clipping, setting jumps, dragging arenas...

haleylvsshammy 07-24-2010 04:05 PM

Let's see... my mom and I split the work with our BO for a discount.
A total of 4 days a week (morning and night) we:
Clean stalls twice a day
Feed hay and grain
Turn horses out and bring in
Blanket
Fly masks
Water horses
Clean pastures
Sweep the feedroom

It's a lot, but not really considering there are only 4 horses... lol