The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Foal or Weanling? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/foal-weanling-60565/)

Quedeme 07-24-2010 08:19 PM

Foal or Weanling?

This, at this time, is VERY hypothetical.

If you had a mare that you just ADORED and wanted another one just like her, would you breed her?

If you just wanted some 'baby' experience, would you breed your own, or buy a weanling?

What are the pros and cons of breeding over buying?

These 'hypothetical' horses do not have to be registered, papered, or full blooded, and let this be a little 'fun' ^_^

Zeke 07-24-2010 08:47 PM

Before directly answering you're hypothetical questions I'm going to say I WOULD NOT breed an unregistered mare and would also never breed to an unregistered stud. The resulting foal would have close to no value and most value would come from if the foal and any decent conformation.

If you had a mare that you just ADORED and wanted another one just like her, would you breed her?
Yes, this is the only type of mare that should be bred. Mares (and studs) should both have great temperments and conformations in order to be considered for breeding.

If you just wanted some 'baby' experience, would you breed your own, or buy a weanling?
Buy a weanling for sure. There are already too many horses in the world, no need to breed more. You're looking for baby experience, not preggo mare and vet bill experience. Picking a weanling also makes it easier to pick nicer breeding rather then asking a nice stud to breed to your mare.

Cons: My trainer bred my mare, and yes it fun to care for her and be there as the baby was born but it's a lot of work. Pregnant mares need to be watched and to have good nutrition. It also is very costly to have her sent to a breeder or AI'd then to have all the resulting vet checks.

Pros: If you have a really well bred mare and find a great stud you get to brag about the baby if it turns out great and take all the credit for setting it up haha. Babies are adorable but you could buy one rather then waiting 12 months.

nrhareiner 07-24-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quedeme (Post 700280)
This, at this time, is VERY hypothetical.

If the fact that I adored her was all she had going for her? No I would not breed her. Chances of getting an exact copy are slime to none. Horses need more then just a biased person who adores them to be breeding worthy.

Buy. If the mare is not proven with very good pedigree and crossed on a well bred proven stallion it is cheaper to buy.

This depends on the person doing the breeding and the stock being used.

These 'hypothetical' horses do not have to be registered, papered, or full blooded, and let this be a little 'fun' ^_^

Like the other poster I would NEVER breed a grade mare or stallion.

mom2pride 07-25-2010 12:59 AM

Okay, if this is all hypothetical...

If I were ever to breed a mare I owned, it would be for the sake of being able to keep the foal. So, even if she were unregistered, I would find a stud that has conformation to compliment hers, and make the proper arrangements. I would look for a reg'd stallion, so the foal would atleast be 'half registered' with some breed association. That way if I ever did have to sell the baby, he would be a bit more marketable.

I have baby experience, so that would not be the 'reason' I would breed.

If given the choice, I would rather buy, than breed, because of the risks that pregnancy can carry with it...of course, when you buy a foal, you may not know how he will turn out, so there are 'risks' there too.

SorrelHorse 07-25-2010 01:47 AM

Being a performance horse breeder I would want to breed for myself, but unless I knew I was going to keep the foal I would wait until I had a buyer first. We normally have two foals a year, use to be more when they were in demand and were wanted for competing but since the market is so crappy now no one can afford a good performance colt or filly. They all want something already seasoned to show.

However, if I found something at another ranch that I liked I would just buy the weanling and wait fo it to grow up. Every breeing operation can use sime new blood otherwise all we have is inbred flaws and deformities....Eh. Not good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Super Nova 07-25-2010 06:20 PM

I think it is better to pick up a weanling it most certainly will be cheaper than breeding especially in this ecomony......then at least you will have some idea what you have........I do not recommending breeding for the average horse owner......it can be astromically expensive if things go wrong and if you have no experience it can be diastrous.

Super Nova

lilruffian 07-25-2010 06:33 PM

Being one who knows from experience that bloodlines don't necessarily mean squat & that papers are just that - papers, i would see no problem breeding an unregistered horse if they had a great temperment & looks.
Papers don't necessarily determine whether a horse is going tobe good for anything, just that it can (if not gelded) breed later on. To me, a horse is worth nothing, no matter the papers, if you can't do anything with it or if it has a bad attitude/ bad conformation.
There are a load of grades out there that are worth alot of money. As for breeding a horse i liked, i'd say yes & no. Yes only because i've done it lol and no, because you're not going to get the same horse. However, i would rather have my own foal instead of buying because you know everything about it & it's temperment & you can train it off the bat your way instead of having to deal with others' mistakes.

AnnaLover 07-25-2010 07:02 PM

OOps :P

nrhareiner 07-25-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilruffian (Post 700994)
Being one who knows from experience that bloodlines don't necessarily mean squat & that papers are just that - papers, i would see no problem breeding an unregistered horse if they had a great temperment & looks.
Papers don't necessarily determine whether a horse is going tobe good for anything, just that it can (if not gelded) breed later on. To me, a horse is worth nothing, no matter the papers, if you can't do anything with it or if it has a bad attitude/ bad conformation.

This is true papers or not. You have a much better chance getting what you expect with a registered horse then with a grade horse. There is a reason they trace pedigrees and why you see certain lines excelling in certain disciplines.

There are a load of grades out there that are worth alot of money.

Grades or cross bred horses. To very different things.

As for breeding a horse i liked, i'd say yes & no. Yes only because i've done it lol and no, because you're not going to get the same horse. However, i would rather have my own foal instead of buying because you know everything about it & it's temperment & you can train it off the bat your way instead of having to deal with others' mistakes.

Who is to say that there are going to be mistakes made? If you buy one of my foals there will be no holes in it training. It by the time that foal is weaned it will lead, tie, pick up it feet, will stand to be bathed, Trailer stand for farrier vet De-wormers and shots, if it is a colt it will have been cleaned and drop 80% of the time on command depending on age.

So saying you what to breed b/c you do not want someones else mistakes is a failisy. Over the years I have purchsed a few foals. I have yet to buy one who I would say that breeder mess them up. Although I did buy from some very very good breeders who would be considered top breeders not BYB. However I did not get these foals for a low price either. They where well bred nice foals and priced accordingly.

lilruffian 07-25-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 701060)
Who is to say that there are going to be mistakes made? If you buy one of my foals there will be no holes in it training. It by the time that foal is weaned it will lead, tie, pick up it feet, will stand to be bathed, Trailer stand for farrier vet De-wormers and shots, if it is a colt it will have been cleaned and drop 80% of the time on command depending on age.

So saying you what to breed b/c you do not want someones else mistakes is a failisy. Over the years I have purchsed a few foals. I have yet to buy one who I would say that breeder mess them up. Although I did buy from some very very good breeders who would be considered top breeders not BYB. However I did not get these foals for a low price either. They where well bred nice foals and priced accordingly.

Im not saying all aren't well started, but you're always taking a chance. By breeding your own, you know exactly what you're getting. You know the personality of both parents (other than what you're told) and what the horse may grow to look like because not all people buy directly from a breeder. It's simply my preference.