The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Update - from nerves while jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/update-nerves-while-jumping-60582/)

sandsarita 07-24-2010 11:21 PM

Update - from nerves while jumping

A few months back I made a thread about the problems I was having with my nerves while jumping, and received a lot of great advice, and thought I would give you guys an update. My trainer had put me back on a been there done that horse to really work on my equitation and just getting comfortable going again. This month, I have moved back to the horse that threw me earlier this year and seemed to start the downward spiral. Well, the one thing that I realized is how that if I get in his mouth he will let me know - he went to pitching, and I realized how much my seat had improved over the past few months. This is how he originally threw me, and that day I never even budged. Managed to suck it up and get though it and do a few small fences, even though my nerves were starting to pop up.

Since then, things have really come together and I have gotten to where I love riding him, and even jumping him. Today, we were working on courses and I realized I was really having fun - I wasn't just happy we did well, but I didn't want to quit and was looking for her to add fences. I was relaxed (the nerves still pop up at times during the lesson but I can manage them now - my trainer makes fun of my wild eye expressions at times), could control his stride, going from the added strides down the line one trip to the correct number of strides the next when I decided it, NOT him, doing the lead changes, and staying balanced in the corners. It has gone from everything being in fastforward vision to regular time, which has helped tremendously. And I have discovered that when I am nervous approaching a line, a little half halt combined with a large deep breath before the first fence and immediately upon landing will get me through it just fine.

Thank you guys for all your help back then. Hopefully I'll get a video at some point to show you guys.

MIEventer 07-25-2010 09:29 AM

That's great and congratulations for beating your fears!

makin tracks 07-26-2010 04:17 PM

Sandsarita, that is fantastic.

Now you have your confidence you will continue improving and the adrenalin rush (as opposed to nerves) will keep you coming back for more

sandsarita 07-28-2010 11:27 PM

Thanks ladies - it's just great to really be enjoying it, and looking for her to add more fences on. Thanks for all the help and encouragement earlier this year.

flamingauburnmustang 07-29-2010 12:40 AM

I'm glad to hear that you are more confident now. I think we all sometimes have those times when we feel we will never get past something or when we think we will never get back to where we were, but if a person really loves riding and they work through it all, you can make it work. :grin:

PumpkinzMyBaby22 08-02-2010 05:32 AM

Thats fantastic! Good on you for beating your fear. Congratulations