The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Haflinger horse......how much?.......... (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/haflinger-horse-how-much-60603/)

Dock 07-25-2010 09:32 AM

Haflinger horse......how much?..........

I have an old, fat haflinger mix. He is rideable, but stubborn. Needs some more work on riding. He walks on a halter very well. Stands for farrier, brushing, and ties well. All I know is that he is over 20, and is hard to keep the weight off of him. If I were to sell him on Craigslist(online local ads) then how much would I get for him. Or how much would you pay for him.

He is red/brown with white line down his face.
Very long tan mane. About 2 feet long!
Beautiful tail.

GraciesMom 07-25-2010 09:53 AM

Where are you at? Location will make a big difference. Do you have any pics?

maura 07-25-2010 09:56 AM

Needs work on riding, and over 20?

Free to a good home. Or ask for $300. and negotiate down.

GraciesMom 07-25-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maura (Post 700616)
Needs work on riding, and over 20?

Free to a good home. Or ask for $300. and negotiate down.

I was just coming back to edit my post and type the same thing!

equiniphile 07-25-2010 10:02 AM

Yea, MAYBE $300. Watch out for meat buyers, though, as that's around the price some of them will pay for a horse.

He would be worth a lot more if he were a decent, sound riding horse. How tall is he? Tall enough to be ridden by an adult?

Dock 07-25-2010 10:33 AM

In reply to previous post.

He is 15 hh. He is a really sweet horse. I don't have any trouble catching him.(he actually sometimes comes to you). Just stands there while you brush him, pick his feet, spray for flies. Its just he can be a little stubborn when riding him. I think that his stubbornness will go away with a little more experienced rider.( I'm not very experienced).

So if I got him riding a little better how much would you say.

And location....We are in a big cattle/horse/goat area.

GraciesMom 07-25-2010 11:08 AM

I mean what stae are you in?

Dock 07-25-2010 11:22 AM

We are in Texas.

GraciesMom 07-25-2010 11:26 AM

Yeah, probably $300 at the most. If he was a beginner broke horse, he would be worth a little more. But already being 20 and that small, and not being able to be rode by a child isn't a great thing. Be VERY careful nobody buys him for slaughter. It might be a good idea to find a hranch for retired horses and take him there. Horses at 'retirement homes' live out a long life with lots of other horses for company.

Do you have any pics that we could see?

Dock 07-25-2010 11:30 AM

Actually smaller adults can ride him. Adults have ridden him. He has a lot of muscle.

What do you think he would be worth if I got him riding better. And in better shape.(like lose more weight!)