The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   one of my best rides ever! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/one-my-best-rides-ever-60652/)

dedebird 07-25-2010 08:33 PM

one of my best rides ever!

ok so there is this horse named feather at the barn i take lessons at. when i first rode her she wouldn't listen to me very well i was gonna give up on her at yesterdays lesson but i decided to give her one more try. so i rode her and she spoked at somthing in the arena! it wasn't very big and i had control of her enough so she just stoped. so i kept riding and she kept not wanting to go near that wall so i told my instructor she didn't like that wall anymore and she said i needed to keep walking her by it so i walked her by it over and over again and eventually she got used to it and she trusted me after that and now she listens perfectly! it was amazing!!! i kept getting complements about getting her to colect and stuff what do you guys think do you think its odd or normal that happened?

SorrelHorse 07-25-2010 08:56 PM

She is learning to trust you. Sometimes a horse just needs some reassurance.
Posted via Mobile Device

makin tracks 07-26-2010 04:19 PM

Horses will take charge if they think they can / should.
You won the 'I'm in charge' battle by insisting she go near the wall.
So now you've earned her respect it should be onward and upward for you.
Well done!

Brithorse1996 07-26-2010 05:59 PM

I was in the same situation as you last week. My lesson pony is usually really unresponsive and lazy unless he is being chased by a lunge whip (he's only 8) but last week he was perfect and was even trying to to some bucking bronco, but he listened to my commands perfectly.

Thing is yesterday was my lesson and I upgraded from him to a horse and had my 3rd and worst fall off that horse too but loved every minute of it and also jumped for the first time 2'6. I miss my other pony but love the new horse :)