The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Natural Joint Supplements (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/natural-joint-supplements-60683/)

RedTree 07-26-2010 06:56 AM

Natural Joint Supplements

I want to start putting Buzz on joint supplements. He is moving fine and everything he just cracks... like when you crack you knucles sound

I went to the local stockfeeds to see what they had but everything was really expensive. I was wondering if there were any natural remedies or something I could use thats a little bit lighter on the pocket. I will buy these if there is nothing else out there it was just a shock when the cheapest was $100.

My friend said she used to use a natural substance for her old pony but can't remember whats it called.

Any help appreciated and remember I'm in Australia :)

RedTree 07-27-2010 08:14 AM

just bumping hopefully someone knows :)

MIEventer 07-27-2010 09:50 AM

I would start out with MSM and go from there.

My honest opinion about oral suppliments is that you are spending more on a product that you cannot be sure or certain that it is working.

The reason being, is because Oral Suppliments fall under the Equine Nutrition Category - so the rules, regulations, and inspections aren't strict. So the companies can say that there is this much of this ingredient, when there really ins't. Or they can say that there is this ingredient in it, without even putting it in.

Also, say you give your horse 1 tablespoon scoop of the product, studdies show that only a minute amount of what your horse injests, is going to where it needs to be going to do its' job.

So going with MSM is cheaper than going for all those fandangled expensive products.

Now, if you want to go with something that is the "for sure thing" look into IM's - like Glucosamine, Polyglycam, Adequan, Legend..etc, etc.

Glucosamine is your cheapest route to start with. For a whole bottle that lasts a couple of months, is $25.00 U.S. Not sure what you can get in Australia.

I like IM's because they fall under the Equine Medical Category, where rules, regulations, studdes, tests and inspections are strict, closely followed and regulated. So, when the product says what it is, you can be sure it is. And when the product states what it does, you know it does.

I would talk to your vet :) See what they say.

jtmdah 07-28-2010 12:28 AM

I agree. MSM is cheaper, and it will usually work just fine.

RedTree 07-28-2010 07:16 AM

Okay I will look around at the other stockfeeds thats are in town because the one near my place only had the expensive stuff

luvs2ride1979 07-29-2010 12:57 PM

I agree with MSM. Feed 1gm (10,000 mg) daily.

For joints I use a product called Acti-Flex 4000. It's very affordable and works well. I don't know if you can get it in Australia though. You might search some of your online stores to see if they carry it. Here's a link to the product page on a US web site.
Big Dee's Tack & Vet Supplies | JOINT SUPPLEMENTS | ACTI FLEX 4000 SOLUTION - QT

Some people claim that Apple Cider Vinegar can help with joint issues, 1/2 cup daily in their feed. I use ACV for flies and to get my horses to drink more water.