The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Dumb question, sorry (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/dumb-question-sorry-60714/)

ridesapaintedpony 07-26-2010 04:14 PM

Dumb question, sorry

When someone is advertising a headstall as "Stallion's leather headstall" does that mean the headstall is bigger to fit a stallion's head and most likely wouldn't fit a mare?

I'm not looking for a new headstall, but came across that wording on ebay while browsing and wondered at it. I haven't seen that term used before.

STALLION'S SILVER CONCHO WESTERN HEADSTALL- FULL SIZE - eBay (item 170518054023 end time Jul-31-10 00:06:33 PDT)

Thank you.

Jacksmama 07-26-2010 04:22 PM

Really it just sounds like it's a larger headstall, if a mare had a bigger head it would probably fit. Maybe it's just them trying to make it seem like a nicer/fancier headstall because their stallion wore it.

ridesapaintedpony 07-26-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksmama (Post 701885)
Maybe it's just them trying to make it seem like a nicer/fancier headstall because their stallion wore it.

Oh their stallion didn't wear it. They have about 20+ of these headstalls all listed as new.

Thank you for answering.

AngelWithoutWings54 07-26-2010 04:57 PM

Could it be a brand name?

kmacdougall 07-27-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelWithoutWings54 (Post 701914)
Could it be a brand name?

I think it is because farther down it specifies that it's regular horse sized.

Cinnys Whinny 07-27-2010 10:08 AM

IMO this is most likely a distributor for an over seas company, probably in China or India. You have to be careful, there are a LOT of these on Ebay. Rob and I looked into the China/India manufacturers when we were thinking of starting up our own tack store. Basically you bulk order 100 or more of a certain item for super cheap, they make them all (sometimes questionable quality, but some are good) then they ship them to you. Then you sell them at a major profit. There are some reputable companies out there that buy this way..Roma is one of them, so if you have a Roma pad that you paid 50 bucks or so for ha ha...guess what, Roma only paid like a buck to have it made in china!!! (I know this because when one of the companies sent us sample pics, many of the pads actually said "Roma" on them).

It doesn't sound so bad except a lot of people getting into doing this know nothing about horses, equipment, sizing, etc. That's when you get weird wording like "stallion" size, etc. Some non horse person probably called it that either in China or here because they don't know any better. I've seen things called the wrong thing too...especially types of bits. And if you have to ask the seller a question, chances are...they won't know the answer or worse they will guess and pull an answer out of their butt.

So, if you see a seller on ebay that has a TON of the same exact thing...you may be getting a great buy, BUT, be sure to check out their feedback and investigate and remember, they may not know what it is they are selling.

ridesapaintedpony 07-27-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmacdougall (Post 702608)
I think it is because farther down it specifies that it's regular horse sized.

Just don't do a Google on "Stallion leather". Trust me. :-P:oops: