The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   So frustrated ARGH! What do I do? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/so-frustrated-argh-what-do-i-60723/)

Azale1 07-26-2010 05:34 PM

So frustrated ARGH! What do I do?

It is beginning to really get frustrating. I live in southern California where everyone seems to think that unless you own a Thoroughbred, Quarter Horse, or Warmblood you and your horse are completely worthless. I own a Full Arabian Mare and have always owned Arabs. My trainer specialized in them but I have also dealt with many many other breeds including the ones mentioned. But everyday I get chewed out by the people at my work who are supposed to be my friends and all the other boarders about how my horse is ugly, doesn't move right, can't do anything, is crazy, and why on earth would I waste my time on such a creature. And all because I own an Arab. I try to make my defense that Arabs are just as if not more capable in doing the different disciplines as all the other breeds of horse. I even show give them names and videos of all the different successful Arabs in the world. And they just continue one with their comments and talking down. And everyday I have to hear UGH I hate Arabs, UGH she is so ugly. When quite frankly she acts better, is smarter, and looks a whole lot better, is faster, lasts longer, and has a better head on her shoulders than all of their horses. And yet because she is Arab they are blind and stupid and stuck in their snobbish rich ways.

Anybody have any suggestions as a defense I could throw at them to get them to stop all this nonsense? Or what I could do? Need some suggestions because I am all out of ideas and honestly I'm tired of crying everyday because all I hear is how ugly and worthless she is (which is TOTALLY NOT true).

I would go to one of the local arab barns around here but I just can't afford boarding off of base. It just costs too much money, so that is just not an option.

Zeke 07-26-2010 05:37 PM

I live in So Cal and have not experienced such attitudes from others. Where are you? I'm just curious....

Anyways, why not just ignore them? Why not say anything and go about your business? Sounds like this is at your work place, so if I were you I would just go about my work without paying attention to them. YOU love your horse, no one else has to.

SorrelHorse 07-26-2010 05:40 PM

It doesn't matter what they think. Nobody likes my Rebel boy either but thats their problem.

But if you're determined, I would just be satisfied by creaming them in the Show ring ^^
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 07-26-2010 05:51 PM

i own an arab to but then again arabs are VERY popular where i live so i have never experienced this behavior
but i would say just ignor them..prove them wrong. Honestly it should not matter what they think..if you love your horse THAt is all that should matter to you

Eolith 07-26-2010 05:53 PM

Don't pay them any heed. You know what your horse is capable of, and you have a significant bond with her. Why should you care what anyone else thinks? I know it's tough to be criticized, but its something you'll face in one form or another throughout life.

Keep in mind that you too need to keep an open mind towards the other breeds that people own. If you're touting that your Arabian is better than thier horses and you've always had Arabians and always will have Arabians, they'll likely be more bitter towards you. Even if you aren't intentionally doing any of this, you can't be certain of how other people are percieving your breed loyalty.

Owners of mustangs usually face a very high degree of this type of breed discrimination.

Zeke 07-26-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eolith (Post 701954)
Don't pay them any heed. You know what your horse is capable of, and you have a significant bond with her. Why should you care what anyone else thinks? I know it's tough to be criticized, but its something you'll face in one form or another throughout life.

Keep in mind that you too need to keep an open mind towards the other breeds that people own. If you're touting that your Arabian is better than thier horses and you've always had Arabians and always will have Arabians, they'll likely be more bitter towards you. Even if you aren't intentionally doing any of this, you can't be certain of how other people are percieving your breed loyalty.

Owners of mustangs usually face a very high degree of this type of breed discrimination.

This is a good point. I've enountered people doing this and though I know they aren't trying to be snotty, it comes off that way. Just another reason not to say anything on the matter.

mom2pride 07-26-2010 06:39 PM

I think you just need to ignore those punks...they don't know any better, and fretting about it does no good, nor does 'playing in their court' so to speak. I used to show in MN, where anything that wasn't QH or QH type was frowned upon. I showed several Arabs, and even though they would do better than alot of the horses in their classes, they didn't place high, often...all because of the stereotype. I didn't care...I knew how my horse did, and was happy with that...At some shows we would actually get an impartial judge and that was a blessing, because my 'goofy' Arabs would do really well, then, because the judge was looking at how the horse performed, NOT his breed type. Just hang in there, and enjoy your horses...you know how good they are, and that is all your horse cares about.

ladybugsgirl 07-26-2010 07:10 PM

I hate people like this. I have had this happen as well. It is so messed up how rude people can be.

Chella 07-26-2010 07:19 PM

Oh ignore them. Arabs are considered worldwide as one of if not the greatest/most beautiful breeds there is. Many of the breeds today have Arab in them. It is one of the oldest strongest breeds. Each breed excels in what they were bred for. Smile inside and out when in the barn. Be better than them. In whatever you do at the barn smile as it changes your intentions and attitude.

ridergirl23 07-26-2010 07:27 PM

Sorry to hear you have to put up with that! :(
Yes, Ive heard florida is a place for the big oober fancy dressage horses, or of the proffesional jumpers. Or at least in soem areas it is.

Just ignore it, you love your horse, they dont have too.
Just make sure you dont come off as snotty about their horses either, Im not sure if you ment it, or were just mad, but a in a few small places in your post you came off as thinking your horse was better then everyone elses, which can trigger that behaviour. Even if you dont mean to, just be very cautious of doing that.

Just try to be nice to them, and if they are still snotty, well, why would you want them anyway? its their loss.