The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Looking for ideas...... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/looking-ideas-60823/)

OzarkGrey 07-27-2010 04:30 PM

Looking for ideas......

on how to start an emergency network for horses!
We recently had 6 horses attacked by a mountain lion here in Arkansas, and these were people from out of state camping. Nobody had a clue how to get help for their horses! One badly injured horse had to be hauled over 5 hours away to their own vet!
One would think the local authorities would know how to get in touch with a vet to help these animals! but apparently that was not the case!
This happened on a Sunday.......

CountryJay 07-27-2010 11:33 PM

That is absolutely terrible! I cold never dream of that happening to one of our babies! I think that camp grounds should have information on a bulletin board thing, such as nearby vets, hospitals, ect. Especially since a lot of people camp out of state and don't know these things for the area. I know one place by us that does that, but not many.

OzarkGrey 07-28-2010 09:48 AM

That's a great idea!
Most of the trail heads here have little covered bulletin boards with maps, what trails are closed and....wildlife warnings! Unfortunately....our Game and fish refuses to admit we have big cats!
I will suggest it to our Horse Council!

lilruffian 07-28-2010 02:18 PM

That's weird. Around here, if & when we have any issues with bears or cougars, expecially if they're threatening livestock or people the fish & game guys come in with dogs, hunt the animal down & relocate it.
Posting bulletin boards is a great idea, though.
Also, are "bear-banger's" allowed there? It's like a gun, but it doesn't shoot anything, just makes a loud bang, which usually scares off bears/big cats (might scare the horses too, so it would be good to get them used to it first). It's always good to have some sort of protection (bear-bangers/sprays).

OzarkGrey 07-29-2010 09:02 AM

I don't understand why Game and Fish refuse to admit there are big cats here, but alot of people including myself have seen them! There are pics of them caught on game cams! The Game and Fish says they are probably pets that got loose.
I found out that in 2003 a girl was killed by a cougar in her back yard only a few miles down my road! Apparently from what I read...there was a huge cover up?
I will not ride out alone anymore!!!
As for protection....in the state of Arkansas you can open carry while riding pretty much anywhere!
What do you all think about a web site with emergency contacts? I don't know how many people have Internet on their phones, but do you think this would be a good idea?

outnabout 07-29-2010 11:38 AM

I don't understand why Game and Fish refuse to admit there are big cats here, but alot of people including myself have seen them! There are pics of them caught on game cams! The Game and Fish says they are probably pets that got loose.

OzarkGrey, thanks for the heads up! As we have done a lot of hiking in Arkansas mountains, we were surely headed that way eventually for trail riding! Just an idea for the emergency contacts... until the web site materializes, that is... I will surely find those contacts before setting out on a wilderness ride, just in case.
Anybody in the south had riding experiences with wild pigs on the trail? What to do about that? I'm thinking it isn't safe to do wilderness rides with less than three people in case someone or some horse is injured. Now I am thinking the third person will be the one carrying the shotgun! LOL

OzarkGrey 07-29-2010 05:43 PM

I really don't want to scare anyone off of our trails! We have some awesome riding here in the Ozarks! Big bluffs, river trails, caves, water falls and wild snacks! ( berries, grapes, wild plumbs, so on! ) Just think we need a plan in place for emergencies!
I have not heard of any wild boar problems! Thank goodness, cuz I would become an arena rider for sure:lol:
We always "carry" in the woods! You never know!