The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   What kind of vehicle can pull a horse trailer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/what-kind-vehicle-can-pull-horse-60892/)

Citrus 07-28-2010 11:23 AM

What kind of vehicle can pull a horse trailer?

I used to own a Toyota 4Runner that was made for towing (rear wheel drive, total tow package) but it was a 6 cylinder. Can you tow a two horse trailer with a 6 cylinder? I loved that 4Runner.

What kind is best and what kind of extra brakes can you put on a vehicle for towing/safety?

cakemom 07-28-2010 11:26 AM

We pull with a 3/4 ton dodge with an electric brake controller and the towing package. But we tow a huge equiptment trailer with a commercial bobcat...so our truck is overkill for some average people.
Posted via Mobile Device

Citrus 07-28-2010 11:33 AM

well the vehicle I get to pull the trailer will most likely have to be my daily driver as well- so it cannot be overkill..... I supposed I could buy just a cheap old truck with a seriously huge engine and use it only for pulling.... not sure how that would compare to the cost of driving a gas guzzler daily, what with licensing and repairs.... hm.

Speed Racer 07-28-2010 11:34 AM

I wouldn't recommend pulling anything larger than a utility trailer with a 4Runner, even if it's a 6 cylinder.

It's not the pulling I'd be worried about, but the stopping. 4Runners just aren't heavy enough to stop a loaded horse trailer, especially if you need to stop in a hurry.

You can use a 6 cylinder vehicle to tow with, but you'd need a very small or very light trailer, and only haul 1 horse at a time. Either an extremely small steel/aluminum 2 horse bumper pull, or a Brenderup. Brenderups are fiberglass, so they're very light. They're also very expensive and pretty much impossible to find used.

If you can find that small/light trailer, make sure not only to have a towing package with a transmission cooler built into the truck, but a brake box and wiring harness so that you're utilizing the trailer's brakes along with the truck's when stopping.

MacabreMikolaj 07-28-2010 11:38 AM

You CAN but it's not anywhere near the best option. Your gas mileage will likely be horrid, you probably can't do full speed without putting some strain on your engine.

We have hauled with an older model Ford Explorer before, V6 engine. It was an old steel 2-horse trailer, and we sure had to go a lot slower and it sucked gas like nobody's business but it DID work.

If you had an aluminum trailer, you'd be much better off. Those old steel monsters are twice the weight, I swear! :lol:

charlicata 07-28-2010 11:50 AM

I have a quad cab 4X4 Dodge 1500 with the Hemi motor in it. It has the full tow package, with the transmission cooler. I bought the brake controller at TS for a minimal amount of money. That being said, I also use my truck to haul hay, feed, and wood (for my hobby). My trailer is a v-nose aluminum 2 h sl with a large dressing room. I can pull both of my horses and have the dressing room packed with feed, hay, and camping supplies in the mountains without overloading the truck. I also used it for emergency hauling 2 large horses and 1 small horse for a short distance in the mountains...again, without overloading the truck. With the adjustable brake box inside, I also had plenty of stopping power. Gas mileage without a trailer can go anywhere from 14 - 18 mpg (according to the roads); with the trailer loaded it ranges from 11 - 13 (once again according to the roads). My old trailer was a 2h steel with no dressing room. My mileage generally dropped down to about 10 mpg with both my horses in it. I only had it for about a year and needless to say, with the difference in mileage I've used the new one more in the past couple of months than I used the old one the entire time I had it. I personally wouldn't use anything less than a V8 motor to haul 2 horses unless you're just going to use it to drive semi-flat roads.

iridehorses 07-28-2010 12:03 PM

The biggest problem I see with using a 4-runner is not only the stopping power (which can be assisted with a brake controller) but with wheelbase. The shorter the wheelbase, the more sway you will encounter.

I tow with a GMC Envoy and that is the bare minimum in size that I would tow with - even though it is rated at 10,000 lbs.

cakemom 07-28-2010 12:13 PM

By the way, our dodge gets 20 miles to the gallon towing. It's diesel.
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 07-28-2010 12:20 PM

I tow with a chevy 3500 dually 4x4 and sometimes I'll use my dads F250 4x4 BUT...

I've towed my old 2 horse (very light weight) with a Ford Aerostar and a Ford Ranger 2x2.....

charlicata 07-28-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakemom (Post 703868)
By the way, our dodge gets 20 miles to the gallon towing. It's diesel.
Posted via Mobile Device

I wish I had held out for a diesel. That's what I really wanted, but DH talked me into getting a gas. I would have loved to have had that extra torque on the last long trip I had!!! Oh well, maybe in a few years. My gas serves my purposes for now.:-)