The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Could I Be Hurting Him? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/could-i-hurting-him-60903/)

Tennessee 07-28-2010 01:41 PM

Could I Be Hurting Him?

I've been having some problems with Smokey, one of my barrel horses, and I am wondering if there could be some kind of pain problem.

Last Wednesday when I was riding around the arena (not doing barrel work, just exercising him) he was doing fine until I asked him to canter on the left lead. He did ok for a couple of strides but then he started kicking out, crow hopping, and throwing his head around. I asked him to do it again to see if it was a fluke but he did the same thing and bucked me off.

So, I figured maybe it was because he hadn't been rode in a week, but when I rode him again today he did the same thing on the same lead at a canter. He does fine on the right lead and acts normal, but on the left lead he just will not budge.

So, I am wondering is there a chance this could be caused by pain? I know it is not the saddle because I have had a fitter out within the past month to check out all of my saddles on the horses. I don't believe it is a discipline problem because he is perfectly fine besides this one thing.

I know that often sacroiliac pain can be exposed by a horse being reluctant on leads. Do you think that could be the problem?

I heard from someone that there is some way you can check a horse for back pain by running a finger down it's spine or something, but I'm not sure how to do it.

If I need to call out a chiropractor or a vet I will. I'm just not sure what to do.

Help, please? :)

mls 07-28-2010 01:49 PM

If it just started - yes it is probably physical. Rib or back out of alignment, sore hocks or hooks on his teeth.

Tennessee 07-28-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 703897)
If it just started - yes it is probably physical. Rib or back out of alignment, sore hocks or hooks on his teeth.

It did just start, and completely out of nowhere.

It shouldn't be his teeth because I had them floated last month and the vet did a thorough look through his mouth.

Should I call a chiropractor out?

chestnutponies 07-28-2010 02:31 PM

I would call a vet first. Maybe he was rolling around and tweaked something in his back? If the vet doesn't find anything, he or she can recommend you call a chiropractor.

barrelracer892 07-28-2010 02:41 PM

I would call the chiropractor. It sounds like his back may be out. Maybe from playing in the pasture or something. Good luck with him! :]

Tennessee 07-28-2010 06:28 PM

I called my vet. He's coming out tomorrow afternoon to check everything out.

Thank you all! :D

xNigelx 07-28-2010 06:29 PM

Vets always first! Plus, most chiros won't come out unless you have a vets referral. Hope all goes well and its nothing serious!

franknbeans 07-28-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xNigelx (Post 704153)
Vets always first! Plus, most chiros won't come out unless you have a vets referral. Hope all goes well and its nothing serious!

Not true around here at all! I call the Chiro when I want to! As a nurse, I refuse to have insurance that requires me to have a referral myself! And now the suggestion of needing referrals to call who I want for my animals? Really? They don't want to go there with me....... *minor rant over now-thanks!*
I would call the chiro myself, if you have a good one. Ours is EXCELLENT, and in fact would use her to vet a horse in some instances over a vet! (unless blood tests or x-rays are needed) she is VERY astute!:D

xNigelx 07-28-2010 06:57 PM

Oh, well I wouldn't call a chiro unless my vet okayed it. And most chiros I know won't work on your horse unless the vet okays it. Maybe legal reasons? I don't know.

wild_spot 07-28-2010 07:20 PM

^ That's bizarre. I always go for the chiro/massage/acupuncture/laser therapy practitioner first if I think it's mild soreness.