The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   How often do your horses get days off from riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-often-do-your-horses-get-60941/)

Mickey4793 07-28-2010 08:41 PM

How often do your horses get days off from riding?

As most evenings with me and my mom we started discussing our horse, and I was explaining how well he went today and how he got really good work out. She suggested I should give him a day off tomorrow, and I said that I was only planning to go ride him around bareback lightly, just a little walk trot canter.

Then it hit me, my horse hasn't had a single day off from riding for a few weeks, and I felt really bad! :-(

Do you guys give your horses days off from riding a lot? Is it wrong to ride your horse every single day?

I just feel so weird that I hardly ever give him a day off I feel really bad.

Skutterbotch 07-28-2010 08:50 PM

I usually give my girl a day or two off a week, I keep an eye on how my horse is doing training wise, is she is feeling a bit off, grouchy or just sour, i let her have a day off, but definitely at least 1 day, usually Saturday.

smrobs 07-28-2010 08:50 PM

If I don't get a day off, they don't either. Though now that I have green horses that need rode, my old broke horses don't get ridden very often but I used to ride for hours every day and never took a day off. There are tons of horses who literally work for 6 to 8 hours a day and never get a day off and don't show any wear from it.

Mickey4793 07-28-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skutterbotch (Post 704311)
I usually give my girl a day or two off a week, I keep an eye on how my horse is doing training wise, is she is feeling a bit off, grouchy or just sour, i let her have a day off, but definitely at least 1 day, usually Saturday.

He used to get sundays off because of my working schedule but it's changed so now I can and do ride him on sundays.

Some days he does get a lighter work out though, I guess that sort of counts as a break?

mandiemayus 07-28-2010 09:10 PM

I usually ride about 5-6 nights a week at least for an hour after work. If I'm not riding sometimes I go just to brush and give him a snack! He is only 5 so he has a lot of work to do and I just recently bought him so we are bonding.

dee 07-28-2010 10:50 PM

I was too heavy to ride for months after I got my mare. Just as I finally lose enough weight to think I might not break her back, she foals. She went for 2-3 years without being ridden before I got her, and wasn't ridden much after that - just a few times when the neighbor came over or when the daughter felt like showing off her (Dancer's) gaiting to her friend.

Once Dancer comes off of maternity leave and I find a saddle I like, we are going to do some serious work. She needs to build up muscle and I still need to lose about a ton.

Do you know how hard it is to find an affordable saddle for someone my size that fits my stupid horse? GAH!!!

Kayty 07-29-2010 12:20 AM

I generally try to ride 5 - 6 times a week, and feel that it is important to give my horse a day to relax and unwind. If my rides during the week have been mainly very light, then occasionally I will do a 7 day week. If I've been doing strenuous work with my horse, then I will always give at least one day a week off, usually 2 and give a couple of lighter riders in between.

flamingauburnmustang 07-29-2010 12:45 AM

I don't think it's a sin not to give your horse a day off, but as long as you don't ride him VERY hard 7 days a week. :wink:

I try to ride 4-6 times a week if possible (unfortunately my barn is half an hour away), so that means Night Heat gets around 1-3 days off a week. :razz:

Pinto 07-29-2010 02:31 AM

I only ride about 3/4 times a week because my horse lives so far away. And even then, it's only light work. He's 20 and he doesn't need to be heavily worked because he's just a pleasure/trail horse. I think most horses deserve at least a day or two off unless they are preparing for competition :)

Mickey4793 07-29-2010 07:51 AM

I also feel bad if I give don't take my horse out on a given day, because he gets stocked up really easily.

Take sundays for instance, he will have gotten a decent workout the day before because of my lesson, but on sundays they aren't turned out. When I get there his back leg will be swollen and riding is the most effective way for us to take down the swelling [no there is no heat, pain or lameness, he just swells up easily when he stands around.] I just feel so bad when he gets all swollen and I don't do anything about it.