The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Under Lights (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/under-lights-60961/)

sorelhorse 07-28-2010 11:30 PM

Under Lights
 
My horse is under lights to keep his coat short and I was just wondering how many others on here use them? What type of light bulb do you use? and what hourse are they on?

thanks

sandsarita 07-28-2010 11:36 PM

If I'm going to be showing in the winter or very early spring, I'll use them in combo with blankets. I turn them on at about 5:30 am and turn them off at 8am (good lighting in my barn) and they come back on at varying times throughout the year, but in the winter usually 5pm and off at 9:30 pm. I use 100W bulbs.

nrhareiner 07-28-2010 11:39 PM

Not this time of year. I do not start using lights until Thanksgiving first of Dec. If you start any earlier you will run into problems.

I normally use at the very least a 100w true white light. You need to have the same kelvin as sunlight or it will not work very well.

sorelhorse 07-28-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandsarita (Post 704475)
If I'm going to be showing in the winter or very early spring, I'll use them in combo with blankets. I turn them on at about 5:30 am and turn them off at 8am (good lighting in my barn) and they come back on at varying times throughout the year, but in the winter usually 5pm and off at 9:30 pm. I use 100W bulbs.

ya i also usually do most at night and a bit in the morning also.

Azale1 07-28-2010 11:50 PM

I used to use them on my old horse in KY and also at my old job to help get the mares in season sooner. Typically kept them on from 6am-10pm They were all on automatic timers.

sorelhorse 07-29-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 704477)
Not this time of year. I do not start using lights until Thanksgiving first of Dec. If you start any earlier you will run into problems.

I normally use at the very least a 100w true white light. You need to have the same kelvin as sunlight or it will not work very well.

i know i dont run them this time of year, but just out of curiosity, what does happen if you do?

nrhareiner 07-29-2010 11:07 AM

You mess up their normal cycle and they will shut down all together. It is like some type of flowering bulbs. If you do not give them that down time/cold weather they will not bloom the next year. Horses are the same way. The horses need that bit of down time. Their system NEEDS to think that the lights coming back on is the start of spring not a continuation of last summer.

sorelhorse 07-29-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrhareiner (Post 704870)
You mess up their normal cycle and they will shut down all together. It is like some type of flowering bulbs. If you do not give them that down time/cold weather they will not bloom the next year. Horses are the same way. The horses need that bit of down time. Their system NEEDS to think that the lights coming back on is the start of spring not a continuation of last summer.

that makes sense. never actually thought of that.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0