The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Knee Patch vs Full Seat? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/knee-patch-vs-full-seat-60966/)

RidingTowardsGrace 07-29-2010 12:08 AM

Knee Patch vs Full Seat?

This has probably been asked before, and Ive searched for an answer, but I haven't found one :[ So I'll just ask here!

I ride using breeches with knee patches, but Ive recently been looking into buying full seat breeches. The thing is that I do jumping, and Ive been told that they can make it hard to lift out of the saddle when going into the 2-point, or that some make you feel stuck to the saddle (in the not good way). Or that full seat breeches are mainly for dressage riders.

So any advice? I like the idea of having better grip when cantering, but I'm not so sure for when I jump. And for when I show, do many jumpers show in full seat breeches?

Icyred 07-29-2010 11:55 AM

Like Jumpers jumpers or hunt seat jumpers?

Jumpers: yes I do believe that quite a few people jump in full seat breeches and many of my friends do and it is allowed.

Hunters: NEVER WEAR THEM. They are forbidden. :) Well..culturally.

RidingTowardsGrace 07-29-2010 02:04 PM

Well I don't compete/show yet, so just jumping in general right now. I'm not so sure for as to whether I'm going to go the hunter route or just show jumping.

And why don't hunters wear them?

Speed Racer 07-29-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RidingTowardsGrace (Post 705034)
And why don't hunters wear them?

They're not considered acceptable attire in the show ring.

RidingTowardsGrace 07-29-2010 02:09 PM

Oh gotcha. Okay thank you!

Icyred 07-29-2010 04:35 PM

So if you don't know yet I'd consider getting just knee patch breeches.

Oh and the reason they aren't acceptable is that they kind of expect you to have a good enough seat where you shouldn't need the extra support of the full seat breeches.

RidingTowardsGrace 07-29-2010 07:06 PM

Oh well I have a pair of knee breeches (only one pair of breeches to be exact) and after one ride, they already have a small hole on the knee, so thats why I'm looking for another pair. But the reason I was turned towards to full seat is they had them in purple, blue, and other unnatural colors for a cheaper price, and I cant seem to find colored breeches like that with just the knee patch style.

Does anyone know of any cheap (under $55) breeches that come in either red, purple, blue, or pink/etc?

~*~anebel~*~ 07-29-2010 09:47 PM

Lol. I always ride in full seats, I'm so used to them and I have a bajillion pairs. I show hunters in them and because mainly the horse is judged, I don't think I get marked down. Mind you it's dinky 2'6 hunters :P

Now as far as "cheap breeches" go, you get what you pay for. You can find a lot of second hand breeches and sales where you can get high quality breeches for a lower price but if you're buying breeches regular price for under $100 they aren't going to last you a very long time.

MIEventer 07-29-2010 09:57 PM

I can't stand full seats - and that has nothign to do with what discipline I ride in. I have quite a few Eventing Friends who love their Full Seats, but to me, they are very uncomfortable.

I ride in knee patch - I find that they conform to me better than full seats do. The full seats, I end up getting a pocket of space between the crotch of the breeches, and my crotch - drives me up the wall royaly.

Where knee patch breeches or tights, conform to me properly. To me, they are far more comfortable.

RidingTowardsGrace 07-29-2010 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 705378)
Now as far as "cheap breeches" go, you get what you pay for. You can find a lot of second hand breeches and sales where you can get high quality breeches for a lower price but if you're buying breeches regular price for under $100 they aren't going to last you a very long time.

True, but I'm not as serious about riding as Id like to be, so paying $100+ dollars for some seems ridiculous to me (and the parents, who are buying them haha). I just do lessons that are an hour long, once a week. So cheap breeches are all we can afford.