The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   How have you been dumped off of a horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/how-have-you-been-dumped-off-61023/)

CopperPennyPony 07-29-2010 05:58 PM

How have you been dumped off of a horse?

In a my years of riding I just recently got dumped off a horse for the very first time. And while people seem to fall off all the time I have been amazed at the stories people can tell about it. So what is your story? Go ahead, rant about it :D

ChristianCowgirl 07-29-2010 06:23 PM

I've fallen off twice... Both times thanks to dogs. The first time, my brother and I were riding (taking lessons, but not very conventional... long story, generally wasn't a good thing) and a dog came out of the cornfield we were riding by. My brother was afraid of dogs like many little kids and tried to shoo the dog away--while holding the reins! His horse bolted and thanks to the herd instinct, mine followed suit. My brother and our teacher, who was riding double with him, hit the ground in a few seconds. I managed to stay on almost until the horse stopped. I hit the ground about 10 feet from the corral where he stopped!
The second time, the dog popped out right under my horse and scared him. He took off and a kid riding with me whipped his horse around to cut him off. Smokey stopped and I went off sideways. I was set to ride it out (I'd dropped the reins) so I wasn't ready for a sudden stop. Sprained my ankle. Almost gave up riding completely because I wasn't allowed on a horse until the ankle healed and by then I'd gotten too worked up.
Haven't fallen since, but I've ridden several horses. :) I'll probably take my next spill soon as I'll be riding a high-strung retired barrel racer. Oh well, I'll live!
(What's your story, btw?)

frecklesgirl4ever 07-29-2010 07:03 PM

I've been riding two years and so far have fallen off three times..all with the same mischeivious little pony. All of my falls have been when we were jumping. the first time was an easy fall, but the second time I wasn't quite as lucky. i fell onto the jump and hurt my wrists (of course i had to get right back on) My final fall wasn't too bad. We were coming towards a cross rail and everthing was going fine until my pony spotted the plastic flower at the base of the jump flipped out, dumped me, and then ran away. it took us a full half hour to capture him xD

i've almost fallen off a galloping horse too...that would've been bad

BarrelracingArabian 07-29-2010 07:18 PM

ive fallen quite a few times but only 3 bad ones
first was when i was about 7 on a greenbroke mustang my other mustang spooked him he took off bucked like crazy i stayed on for about 8 seconds or so till i went off and hit my head on a small rock.. i had a black eye and a minor concussion
2nd was on a my 27yr old mare when i was about 9 she spooked at a horse on the trail took off my foot got hooked in a bush and i tumbled off .. I had huge deep gashes on both my shoulders but was just sore besides that
last was about 2 yrs ago on a endurance training ride. I was helping train i younger arab mare who is known for being flighty and bratty i used to ride her alot before this. Well i was in the back with my friend bri on another fligthy arab and my horse flipped out bucked jumped to the side spun and i went off body slamming th ground with my elbow. Out of riding for a month.

CopperPennyPony 07-29-2010 07:24 PM

Ok so my first time was a few weeks ago. I was riding with my boyfriend's mom on a horse named Max because my horse Tex had stepped on a nail and was still healing (he's completely fine now). We decided to ride down a road near her house and close to some fast and busy roads. At the end of the road there was a trail we were going to ride on. Just as we get to the entrance Rascal, Lisa's horse, saw a little bird. Now one thing you need to know about Rascal is that he loves to spook when he isn't the least bit scared of something. So he sees the bird and I know there's gonna be trouble so I brace for impact because he often runs into me in his mock terror. The problem is that Max has a very wide back and no withers which makes it nearly impossible to find a saddle that fits him well. So true to form, Rascal freaks out at the bird and bolts and Max follows causing me to crash to the ground. As soon as I am off Max starts trotting calmly down the center of the road. We soon realize he's not stopping or coming back and he's heading for the main, very busy road. So Lisa tries to take off after him but Rascal, being aptly named, starts bucking and rearing after him. He did this so the Lisa couldn't catch Max until half a mile later a few feet from the big road. I had to sprint the whole way to keep up. When she caught him I got right back on and we rode the rest of the way home. We had quite the story to tell my boyfriend and her husband when we got back :lol:

horseservant 07-29-2010 07:25 PM

once my horse slipped on the grass and fell over while galloping. I went flying off neatly between two strands of barbed wire fence without a single scratch.

By the way, if you are a true rider you never fall off you are thrown from your horse. There is no sigma attached by being thrown no matter how many times it happens

CopperPennyPony 07-29-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelracingArabian (Post 705256)
ive fallen quite a few times but only 3 bad ones
first was when i was about 7 on a greenbroke mustang my other mustang spooked him he took off bucked like crazy i stayed on for about 8 seconds or so till i went off and hit my head on a small rock.. i had a black eye and a minor concussion
2nd was on a my 27yr old mare when i was about 9 she spooked at a horse on the trail took off my foot got hooked in a bush and i tumbled off .. I had huge deep gashes on both my shoulders but was just sore besides that
last was about 2 yrs ago on a endurance training ride. I was helping train i younger arab mare who is known for being flighty and bratty i used to ride her alot before this. Well i was in the back with my friend bri on another fligthy arab and my horse flipped out bucked jumped to the side spun and i went off body slamming th ground with my elbow. Out of riding for a month.

Wow! You'd had a rough time! Good for you for getting back on the horse, literally!

CopperPennyPony 07-29-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseservant (Post 705262)
once my horse slipped on the grass and fell over while galloping. I went flying off neatly between two strands of barbed wire fence without a single scratch.

By the way, if you are a true rider you never fall off you are thrown from your horse. There is no sigma attached by being thrown no matter how many times it happens

I totally agree with you. I should have used "thrown" instead of "fallen off."

Falling off only happens when your horse is standing still and you don't have enough skill to hang on lol

BarrelracingArabian 07-29-2010 07:32 PM

haha yea it wasnt the horses faults. I would say i had something to do with all of the accidents .. I should have locked musty up the first time. Should have stayed away from teh fence not knowing how my mare would act and should have been paying better attention on the arab knowing her history lol
i love horses to much to not get back on :]
plus im accident prone no matter what haha

dedebird 07-29-2010 07:35 PM

i've fallen off four times the first time i was going over trot polls and the horse in front of me knocked it out of place so my horse triped and i literaly rolled off i hit my neck the middle of my back and my tail bone my tail bone still hurts its been like 4 years. the second time i jumped a jump waaaay to high the person kept sayin go for it blah blah you can do it i knew i couldn't i lost my stirup and i fell i rolled in the dirt. the third time i was riding a horse and he bucked and i flew off and into a splintery rusty nailed fence, i have a huge scar on my chin cause of it i fell bad i couldn't hear or see for a few mins and when i finally could i couldn't get up and i looked down and started paniking more cause i was bleeding yes i couldn't even feel that i was completly like out, i almost gave up riding it i didn't ride for a few months. when i got on again i was doing ok then i fell of a running away horse o-o of course i was still scared cause of the third fall it has just been recently i started riding