The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Fly Spray *WARNING* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/fly-spray-%2Awarning%2A-61098/)

AngelWithoutWings54 07-30-2010 08:27 PM

Fly Spray *WARNING*

I found this online... I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I figured I'd post it anyways...

Also posted in the "Horse Articles" section.

Fly Sprays - the dangers we should know about - Horse Forums (HGS)

corinowalk 07-30-2010 11:34 PM

Yikes...thats some scary stuff. Wonder if making your own is actually safer.

goforgait 07-31-2010 03:35 PM

Not sure if I have the qualifications and time to create my own but a friend had similar problem with fly spray and turned us on to the natural horse vet products and they have a repellent that really works without the toxic stuff. Reading these articles makes me glad I made the switch!

Erin_And_Jasper 08-01-2010 09:17 AM

can fly spray burn a horse? like if poured on them?

WorthTheWait 08-01-2010 07:02 PM

Scary! Wow, I use ABSORBINE BUG BLOCK and have made my own but it didnt work as well.. my absorbine has Pyrethrin in it! So I will definately look in to better recipes for homeade flysprays.. ): Thanks for the heads up,OP!

gypsygirl 08-01-2010 09:03 PM

Making your own stuff is easy ! One cup of water, one tablespoon dish soap, one tablespoon vinegar. It works really well too.
Posted via Mobile Device

TbLover 08-01-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 707533)
Making your own stuff is easy ! One cup of water, one tablespoon dish soap, one tablespoon vinegar. It works really well too.
Posted via Mobile Device

I will have to try that.

ilovemydun 08-08-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 707533)
Posted via Mobile Device

does is matter which kind of dish soap? brand, scent, color?

trailhorserider 08-08-2010 09:15 PM

I was diagnosed with MS, also a neurological disease. Nobody knows what caused it. May not be the fly spray, but it kind of makes me want to be more cautious about it. I had been using the natural stuff for a couple of years now, but actually switched back to the chemical stuff this year because it is more effective on the flies. :-|

Goose 08-08-2010 09:42 PM

if you use the vinager, water and dish soap, do the horses get all bubbly in the rain? I use the bronco gold, but very sparingly as we are blessed not to have that many flys.... anyone ever try skin so soft by avon, dont know but everyone swears it keeps bugs off people, why not horses????