The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Pictures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/)
-   -   His conformation (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/his-conformation-61117/)

On The Bright Side 07-31-2010 01:13 AM

His conformation

1 Attachment(s)
To me, this horse looks like he has a bit of a ewe neck. Do you think so? If so, how does this affect how he rides?

Spyder 07-31-2010 01:16 AM

Is this your horse or one you are planning on buying?

On The Bright Side 07-31-2010 01:17 AM

Looking at horses to buy, and he is a potential looker (:

Deerly 07-31-2010 02:49 AM

Not a horse I would buy just from this picture. Might not be the most flattering, I don't know. Don't like his neck and withers. Might even be a little too ribby even for a TB.

Generally I'm not a big fan of the overall look. I like flashy horses with a lot of personality in their face. I'm sure he's lovely but since I know you are looking to buy those would be my thoughts if I was interested in buying him.

xNigelx 07-31-2010 06:25 AM

Yes, an ewe neck will make muscling and collection harder. A neck that has the proper "curvature", for lack of a better work, will put a horse in a natural, easier to work with, frame.

His back is quite long. This also makes collection difficult. Hes underweight and not well muscled (that can be changed, with good feed and proper work). I'm not a huge fan of his long gaskins, but I'm no expert with the hind. He looks to me a little camped out in the hind, but it could be the picture. It looks like he has a pig eye? Again, could be the picture. Nice front pasterns! Theres a nice line going through his withers down the center of his front leg, thats good.

The main thing that I worry about is that long back. It creates a lot of problems, from collection issues to, most importantly and commonly seen, back issues. A long back is a weak back.

Ray MacDonald 07-31-2010 06:51 AM

It looks like he has a weird bump in his back... follow the line of his back and you will see it.

On The Bright Side 07-31-2010 12:26 PM

Yeah I agree with all of this, but do you think he's worth a look at? I already kindof set the time that I will see her in her show on Aug. 14 and then sign a waver and ride him afterwards.

xNigelx 07-31-2010 12:30 PM

no harm in trying him out!

On The Bright Side 07-31-2010 12:31 PM

Okay, and maybe I can see if anything looks different in person?

xNigelx 07-31-2010 12:48 PM

yeah, thats just one photo!