The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Polo Wraps (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/polo-wraps-6112/)

appylover31803 02-15-2008 06:32 PM

Polo Wraps

I ordered myself a set of polo wraps for Vega. I mainly got them because i think its something i need (like when her leg swells again to put something cold on it and for the polos to make it stay in place)

I'd like to use them when i lunge her, or when i do parelli with her. As i was looking for them online, i read a lot of stuff along the lines of, if you don't play polo, don't use them. What is everyone's opinion on using polo wraps? Do you use them? When do you use them?

horsecrazy29 02-15-2008 08:21 PM

I use them or leg boots.
I liek polo wraps a lot. My TB is a cluts and over tracks a lot and she is always hurting her legs so when i am lounging or doing ground work i put them on her and they are fine as long as you do not put them on to tight.

appylover31803 02-15-2008 08:38 PM

I do have boots too, but i only use them when i'm jumping her. I'm going to practice a lot before i even put them on her. I figure i'll keep doing it until i get it right on my own leg before i go onto hers.

horsecrazy29 02-15-2008 08:50 PM

Thats good you are practicing. Do you take lessons or have a barn near you that can let you practice and show you?

I found this, I don't use the duct tape though, my wraps have no velcro so i tuck it in smoothly.

Step 1:
Rewrap the polo wraps if they are brand-new. Most new polo wraps are sold tightly wrapped with the Velcro closure on the outside. Before you can apply them, they must be reversed and rolled so the Velcro is in the center.

Step 2:
Check the wraps to make sure they are clean and free of any debris. In temperate weather, most polo wraps can be used a few times before they require washing. However, because they are made of fleece, they tend to attract dirt and debris (such as foxtails and other burs), which should be removed before reuse.

Step 3:
Start wrapping in the middle of your horse's cannon bone. Wrap clockwise on the right legs and counterclockwise on the left legs; this way, the bandages push the tendons toward each other. When your horse moves, his tendons will not pull against the wraps. Wrap down the leg, overlapping the previous wrap halfway each time you spiral down the leg until you reach the fetlock. Make sure to smooth the wrap as you go, so it is wrinkle-free.

Step 4:
Hook the wrap down around the back of the fetlock, across the horny growth behind the fetlock known as the ergot. Then continue spiraling up the leg. If done correctly, when you start the upward spiral, the wrap should form a small upside down "V" at the front of the fetlock. Wrap upward until just below the knee in the front legs or the hock in the hind legs. You may have a little extra wrap when you get to the top of the cannon (depending on the length of your wraps and your horse's size), so just make an extra spiral, completely overlapping the previous spiral.

Step 5:
Secure the wraps with a piece of 6-inch duct tape placed over the Velcro closure. I don't do this but there is nothing wrong with it.

Step 6:
Repeat the process on your horse's other legs.

appylover31803 02-15-2008 11:40 PM

Thanks Horsecrazy. I do actually board my horses, but don't take lessons. I'll probably just ask one of the girls there if its ok. I also got a laundry bag so i'll be able to wash them, need be. I can see them getting dirty quite quickly, but its ok.

I do believe mine have velcro (I'll know more next week) and i was wondering about the duct tape. The people at my barn that use polos dont use duct tape.

Thanks for how to do it too. I read online how to do it, but its so nice knowing that someone knows how to do it, and is tell you. Thanks a bunch!!

Harlee rides horses 02-16-2008 12:55 PM

Whenever I use polo wraps which is very rarely, I use them to trailer. But whenever I use them I use quilts under them.

appylover31803 02-16-2008 04:33 PM

Thanks Harlee.

Anyone else??

My2Geldings 02-18-2008 02:05 AM

I adore polo wraps. They are a pain in to re-wrap but I adore them. They are so much fun. I have at least 12 pairs of polo wraps, and just bought 4 more which are still wrapped :D :D

I also have a full set of horse boots for my 3 year old for the lazy days but I otherwise like to use my polos 8)