The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Diarrhea...HELP~! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/diarrhea-help%7E-61127/)

devildogtigress 07-31-2010 08:58 AM

Diarrhea...HELP~!

I have two horses, and I think one of the horses has diarrhea. When walking the pasture this morning (I do this every day) I noticed that there were two piles of manure that were just...there was no formation. It was like a pile of mash. Even after it rains, their manure doesn't break down THIS quickly and loose formation this fast. (I can take pictures if that'd help) Neither horse has any sign of diarrhea on their legs/back end.

They've been in the same pasture for over a month now, and have had no change in their diets. The ONLY expception is last weekend the horses had 2 meals back to back of just beet pulp...but they've had beet pulp before.

I suspect its Stormy, my mare, as I found the manure piles where I noticed she was voiding yesterday (but was too far away for me to see if you KWIM). But, without seperating them I can't think of a way to be sure.

We have a big run-in barn for them, so the have plenty of shelter, but until we get a big check we're expecting next month, we can't enclose the stalls (we rent, the barn was here when we moved in, just w/o stalls). Hubby and I are going to make a trip to the lumber store to see if we can't get enough plywood to at least put up at least 1 "emergency" stall to seperate each horse for a few hours to monitor.

Any suggestions on anything else to do?

CharliGirl 07-31-2010 09:54 AM

When were they last wormed?

Runny feces without any obvious change in the diet or routine could indicate a health problem--might want to call your vet and ask!

devildogtigress 07-31-2010 09:57 AM

I have only had the mare a month, and wormed her w/ Ivermectin 4 weeks ago when I got her. Her previous owner had her as a backyard pet, and would "worm" her using a bit of chewing tobacco :shock: I was planning on doing Quest this month...

devildogtigress 07-31-2010 09:57 AM

I'm assuming it'd be best to at least narrow it down to which horse is producing the cow-pie looking things...

corinowalk 07-31-2010 11:06 AM

Could she maybe have just gotten into some extra rich pasture? Like a corner that they dont venture to often? We have a big pasture with lots and lots of 'hidden grass' ...occasionally the whole barn will come in the with the splatters and we've always wrote it off as too much grass in too little time.

Kawairashii Ichigo 07-31-2010 11:55 AM

20CC's of Pepto bismal will fix any diarrhea. It's like a god send. xD <3

krissy3 07-31-2010 12:18 PM

from time to time my horses get it too.Could be as simple as one person said, they got into a weed that was too rich, or one that didnt agree with them, or they were eating grass that was wet from dew, and they are eliminating the excess water. They could also be drinking a lot of water...nothing that I would worry about if it doesnt go away in a few days. You can give a coconut cookie " maroon" I think thats with coconut. one cookie will do the trick if its just something they ate in the pasture. Too many apples will give them diarrhea too. good luck

devildogtigress 07-31-2010 01:42 PM

Thanks y'all! I walked the pasture again this afternoon when I fed lunch, and I didn't see anything new. I saw some new normal manure piles, and nothing beyond the stuff that appeared to be from last night. I will walk it again this evening, and continue to be diligant.

It's been horribly hot, and both horses are covered in sweat by 9am, so maybe its from drinking extra water to compensate? Dunno... Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll keep it in mind as I continue to be on allert, and if y'all think of anything else the input/advice is ALWAYS welcome. :-)