The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   How hard is it to teach neck reining? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/how-hard-teach-neck-reining-61150/)

kmacdougall 07-31-2010 05:03 PM

How hard is it to teach neck reining?

My jumper is 14.2, very forward and has a 14 foot stride. He is basically the definition of English horse. Usually, I jump on him bareback and bridleless since he is very sensitive, but the other day I was going to take him for a gallop in a pasture so I decided I needed a little bit of extra brakes. I threw an old soft cotton lead rope around his neck just so I could bump him if he "forgot" about me. Well it turns out that he neck reins like a pro.. He moved everytime a little bit of rope pressure was on his neck. Could someone have taught him this for fun? (I've had him for 7 years.) Do some horses do it naturally?
Posted via Mobile Device

nrhareiner 07-31-2010 05:33 PM

Neck reining is easy to teach. Mine start learning it from the first ride.

corinowalk 07-31-2010 05:34 PM

Some just do it naturally. Especially a well trained horse like yours would respond to pressure...since hes been trained to move away from pressure from the leg...on the neck, it should work the same.

Its possible that he was trained for that a few years ago. Most horses go right back to it with a little refresher.

I love neck reining. What a great thing to find!

kmacdougall 07-31-2010 05:56 PM

Yeah I was pretty excited. I'm hoping he will respond to just me pressing my hands on his neck and we can ditch the rope completely once we have some sharper brakes lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Eliz 07-31-2010 08:25 PM

I had a horse once that I could just tap on either side of the withers and she would move. She neck reined perfectly and I don't think anyone taught her. I believe horses can pick it up naturally. :)

horseluver250 08-03-2010 08:43 AM

I wish my horse would pick it up naturally! I've been trying to get her to pick it up for months and she can't get it through her thick head.

Icyred 08-03-2010 09:52 AM

I always cue with my legs first and usually end up using the reins as a guiding tool after if they need it (which my three year old does quite often! Haha) So it's fairly easy for him, if its a good day and he's hot on the aids and I can just go to one handed in the snaffle and he goes and listens just fine, sometimes better with my haunch turns and such though I try to use the reins as little as possible, mostly using my for steering and such anyway.

SilverSpur 08-03-2010 07:36 PM

neck reining is quite easy to teach, you just need to remember to use your legs first and that your reins are to re-enforse what your leg is asking.

wild_spot 08-03-2010 07:47 PM

Super easy. Most people teach it by accident when direct reining anyway.

Amarea 08-04-2010 07:41 PM

Someone told me that crossing your reins under the chin helps. When you lay the left rein on the neck, it actually pulls on the right side and vice versa. I use an indian bosal on Stiffler now so it's actually the same concept and seems to work well.