The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Any runners out here? [joint pain!] (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/any-runners-out-here-%5Bjoint-pain-61169/)

Mickey4793 07-31-2010 09:36 PM

Any runners out here? [joint pain!]

Hi guys.

I'm on the cross country team at my high school and pre-season practices have been going for a few weeks now. I'm still not completely in shape and we usually only do around 1 1/2- 3 miles per practice this early in the season, so it's pretty light.

But one thing I've noticed since the season has started is my left knee [sometimes my right but not so much] has become SO intolerable!

It's a strange pain, I only get it when my knee is bent, like if I'm sitting and my knee is bent it just becomes stiff and starts to hurt very badly and I need to unbend it. I usually keep it unbent because it starts to hurt within seconds of it being bent!

Sometimes it makes a cracking/popping sound when I unbend it too.

Uh, it's just so uncomfortable I can't take it, even driving in my car is a pain cause I can't full stretch out the leg and it often distracts my driving! So do any of your runners out there, or maybe you non-runners know what's going on or how I can make it feel better? It seems to just get worse the more and more I run :[

Tennessee 07-31-2010 10:42 PM

Hmm...I'm not TOTALLY sure what it is, but I have some ideas. I run everyday so I can kind of relate, but then again I've had knee surgery twice so I kind of can't either. :? That made no sense, did it? lol.

Do you workout your lower body? I know that if you have an imbalance of the muscles but you run a lot it can cause "runner's knee" which is often accompanied by cracking and popping noises. Make sure that you are working out your quads, hamstrings, and calves. Also, some better shoes can help this.

It could also be tendonitis of the knee, which can usually be helped by icing after running, leg strengthening exercises, elevating the knee when you sleep and relax, and basically resting your leg.

It could be lots of things. If the pain continues your best bet is to ask your coach or consult a doctor.

Carleen 07-31-2010 10:42 PM

There's a chance that your knee cap is out of place. It happened to me once and it was SUPER painful to bend it. I had to go to physio a few times, and they helped. For me it started as a strange, but tolerable pain. It worsened and worsened to the point where climbing stairs was absolutely a nightmare.

I highly suggest going to a doctor or physiotherapist because there's a huge chance that you are experiencing the same thing as me.

If it turns out that it's just ouchie joints because of your running, there's a product for horses called Recovery by Purica, you may have heard of it. Anyways, they also make a product for humans with joint pain. I have heard rave reviews about it.

Recovery & Recovery Extra-Strength

JumpsxGlory 07-31-2010 11:06 PM

I agree with the above posters :-) When I was doing track I had similar problems and it turned out to be from my shin bone growing too fast and it getting pushed out and stressing my ligaments and tendons in my knees. What always helped me relieve the pain though was some ice (sit in a bath tub and just run ice cubes around the area that hurts)