The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Dakota/Myself (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/dakota-myself-61201/)

RogueMare 08-01-2010 09:48 AM

Dakota/Myself

Ok, did this video for a internship position. And I got the job! I'm super excited, but I figured I'd let you guys have a stab at critiquing me. :)

Disclaimer: I've only ridden in an English saddle... maybe half a dozen times. I've always been a speed events girl so this is something almost entirely new to me. :)

Thanks in advance!

britneypadilla 08-01-2010 12:52 PM

Aww! Your horse is very cute. Listens very well to you as well! She has a beautiful transitioning from trot to canter! Although she does seem a little uncomfortable in parts of the video. Her canter looks very smooth, and she looks like a fun ride! You look great in the saddle, and very good posture.. If you were going into english equitation classes, they would say somethings along the lines of put your legs back a little more to even your legs with your shoulders, and point your toes more inward toward the horse when you ride. Your hands bounce around a little bit and you shouldn't be able to see them move at all when you ride. Other than that you two look like a perfect pair together! :)

corinowalk 08-01-2010 12:58 PM

YAY! You found a horse! I'm not sure my Nico would have done as well! Glad to hear that you got the job!

For a girl who only did gaming, you do look pretty 'at home' in an english saddle. You have good posture and once you correct your leg just a smooch, you will be in super shape! As a primarily western rider, I know that your leg just always wants to go forward! The good thing is, you didn't get what we call the 'barrel racing HUMP' from leaning over a western saddle all the time. Your back is razor straight and thats a good thing! You look great girl! Good luck with everything!

Deerly 08-01-2010 02:32 PM

That's a really pretty horse! Was she having a hard time holding the canter? It looks like she wasn't able to keep it up and got sort of uncomfortable and fell back down into a trot.

She's really cute though!

Edit: I could totally be wrong, you could just be asking for all those transitions so sorry if I am :) Its hard for me to see!

RogueMare 08-01-2010 09:13 PM

She was actually a "Rental" Horse. And thank-you guys. :) On her left lead she had a really hard time keeping it. She seems VERY uncomfortable in it. Her owner assured me she was ok, and she didn't seem ouchy or anything along those lines.

I felt like my hands were EVERYWHERE! Lol, but thats the reason for the black gloves. ;) I felt way more comfortable in that saddle than I normally did in a western saddle. Which is odd, since I LOVED running barrels. :)

I'm going to start a thread soon detailing my trip down there, and my time being there. I'll let you guys know EVERYTHING that happens. :)

A knack for horses 08-01-2010 10:06 PM

Wow, you can do all that in only 6 rides? (in an english saddle)
I'm jealous. I've only ridden english a few times, but I'm not brave enough to go faster than very slow walk.
Congrats on the internship!

RogueMare 08-02-2010 02:06 PM

Around 6 rides. Lol. I'm not honestly counting. But I know its less than the number of fingers I have. :P

RogueMare 08-02-2010 06:27 PM

bumpity. Anyone else?

bigzee 08-04-2010 07:03 PM

I think you look good for someone who hasn't ridden english much. Like everyone said, your leg needs to come back. Also, I think the stirrup iron is too far back on your foot. You want the balls of your feet resting in the iron, it makes it easier to keep your heels down and leg secure. If you look when you canter, your leg isn't completely secure. Keep at it, you are on the right track.

RogueMare 08-05-2010 02:06 AM

Yeah, I had a problem with the stirrup sliding back all the time while I was riding. The bottom of my boots are way smooth, considering they're western that might be part of the problem. Lol, but it was driving me nuts.