The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Pet Peeves (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/pet-peeves-61228/)

tempest 08-01-2010 03:57 PM

Pet Peeves

What are some of your horse related pet peeves? A couple of mine are when people can obviously see your doing circles as a warm-up but still proceed to cut in front of you, messing both you and your horse up.
And when people purposefully walk in front of your horse despite the fact that they didn't have the right-of-way, causing your horse to spook. And then proceed to give you a dirty look.

Zeke 08-01-2010 04:11 PM

I hate when people use draw reins instead of trying to get a natural headset without that kind of aid first. I rode at a barn where draw reins were the norm on almost every horse even over fences! Talk about dangerous!

smrobs 08-01-2010 07:00 PM

Horses that are spoiled and invade your space just bug the crap out of me.

As far as people (or even mounted people) walking out in front of me, well, that just makes me glad for the horse I do have. I just ask him to walk into them and say "oops, sorry, my bad LOL".

TheRoughrider21 08-01-2010 07:14 PM

People who don't take the time to train their horse properly and then beat them when they dont understand

Yesterday, idiots pulling up towards the barn and laying on the horn. And she's got fricken 11 horses...yep 11.

People who like causing drama at the barn...and act like its about them instead of the horses.

When you're having difficulties with a horse and everyone can see that you are, yet someone comes cantering/trotting by while you're trying to calm your horse down.

Gillian 08-01-2010 07:44 PM

People who let their horses pull them around and invade their space. Having worked as a barn hand nothing is more irritating than being dragged around by someone's giant idiot of a horse, who they're too lazy/afraid to work with.

tempest 08-01-2010 10:22 PM

When the judge stops looking at you just because you made a mistake that he/she saw. (Honestly that happened to my friend, the judge wrote down her number, and then asked for a canter to walk transition. The girl's horse stumbled, my friend flew forward. The judge shook his head and never looked at her again.)

reining girl 08-02-2010 12:34 AM

horses that are hard to catch. that is by far my biggest pet peeve, if i had a gun in my hand i would probably shoot them. I want to be able to grab my horse right away, not spend 15-30mins chasing the dam thing. And i dont have alot of patience and that wears it right down to nothing lol.

When your leading a horse and they just stop, and wont budge GAH! it pisses me off. There is one at the ranch i work at, that does it all the dam time, and he is like trying to move a boulder. So i finally just started carrying a dressage whip with me, or i make him back up 58,000 feet. I dont have time for him to be a dumbass. And it is actually starting to pay off, sometimes he will stop and all i have to do is turn around and he magically will start walking again. (and no i dont beat him with the dressage whip, ill just tap his side or his hindquarters until he starts walking forward)

corinowalk 08-02-2010 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reining girl (Post 707751)
horses that are hard to catch. that is by far my biggest pet peeve, if i had a gun in my hand i would probably shoot them. I want to be able to grab my horse right away, not spend 15-30mins chasing the dam thing. And i dont have alot of patience and that wears it right down to nothing lol.

When your leading a horse and they just stop, and wont budge GAH! it pisses me off. There is one at the ranch i work at, that does it all the dam time, and he is like trying to move a boulder. So i finally just started carrying a dressage whip with me, or i make him back up 58,000 feet. I dont have time for him to be a dumbass. And it is actually starting to pay off, sometimes he will stop and all i have to do is turn around and he magically will start walking again. (and no i dont beat him with the dressage whip, ill just tap his side or his hindquarters until he starts walking forward)

LOL Im hiding my old horse from you! Some days, he was totally uncatchable. While leading him up to the ring, he would frequently lock his knees and not move. I would lunge him right there in the drive way. He learned pretty quick! His new owner still has difficulties catching him though. Poor girl.

As far as my personal peeves...horses who eat while tacked. I hate it. Drives me nuts. Im not cruel about it...if they've been on a 2 hour trail, Ill let them grab a munch or two. But if im riding for 2 seconds and your horse dives for grass...hes getting two size 10 heels in his sides...lol

People who say 'oh go ahead and use my (bridles saddles brushes) and then come running asking 'did you use my tack?!" uhh...you said I could. I didnt realize that was double speak for dont touch my stuff! (or only use it when I can admire it)

Drama Llamas. Cant handle barn drama...or any kind of drama for that matter. Im too old!

Trail walkers. I dont mind a nice relaxing trail ride but nothing is more boring than plodding the same trail for the miles and miles at a walk.

The "I do it this way...the world should follow suit" peeps. Example: I only ride bitless...how can you be so cruel to ride with a bit!

And my final biggest peeve of all. Its one I've been guilty of in the past but have turned it around. "Gaaahd...my horse is sooo bad Im sending him to the trainers" Horse comes back, is well behaved, gets rave reviews from trainer....sits in a stall for 4 weeks...owner gets on and gets bucked off..."that trainer is clueless" If you bought a horse to ride...ride it or sell it. Its fine if you love horses and just want to look at them but if you expect a horse to be pulled out of a field without riding it for a few weeks and are seriously expecting a perfect ride...your crazy...batsh*t crazy.

Rant end/ LOL

Bandera 08-02-2010 01:43 AM

People who think they are that because they have a warmblood and they are rich

People who have freakin easy horses and they can jump higher than you because your horse takes off and jumps big and is super green. Its like jeeze, ride my horse and see what happens!

RedTree 08-02-2010 05:00 AM

I hate people who think they know everything about everything like a couple of years ago I rode western for a bit now all my horse friends at school rode english I was telling one of them and how they told me to do something different to english, she instantly turns around and says No thats wrong grrr I was like you have never ridden western before and someone told me who has been riding for 20+ years I think they would know grrr
stupid girl it makes me feel better a little because now she has dropped out of school and working at a takeaway place, living with her bf. serves her right