The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I almost killed my horse today (with pictures!)

8K views 45 replies 36 participants last post by  DressageDreamer 
#1 ·
I just experienced quite possibly the scariest day of my life, aside from my dad's motorcycle accident. I honestly believed for a time that my horse was going to die and there was nothing I could do about it.

Me and Ashley went for a ride today, and decided to explore the trails. We were probably riding for over an hour, mostly at a trot, when we found a sign that side one way back to ranch and one way to picnic area. We followed the picnic area one, which will be the red line on my map. We rode for a bit until we came upon a marsh - it WAS the trail, so I stupidly assumed it was safe. We got about 50 feet in and everything was good, the water was about belly deep and all of a sudden, Zierra drops like a rock. She sunk passed her chest within seconds, and I had to leap from her back. She flailed around desperately before falling onto her side. I somehow managed to get out of it, because the bog was knee deep and I was up to my waist in water. Justus only got her front end in and was able to get out. I had to unclip one rein and stand waist deep in this marsh while my beloved mare lay on her side, face half in the water, panting.

After calling for help, and knowing NOBODY would know where we were, I made the decision to go for help. Ashley didn't know where we were, so I had to take her little 14.1hh pony and find someone. It took me over half an hour to get back to the ranch at almost a dead run the entire way (and some trotting for breaks). Shay-la was waiting for me with her THREE YEAR OLD Clydesdale/Thoroughbred filly. I was absolutely desperate at this point, I knew how bad the situation was and Shay-la didn't - my horse was trapped in a bog, surrounded by 50 feet of waist deep water on all sides and nothing but bloody marsh grass and cat tails around us.

Shay-la quickly changed saddles for me and gave Justus a drink (the pony) before we set out again at a run. The pony was starting to tire, so we had to do more trotting and it took a little longer to get back. I am PANICKING at this point, not knowing if my horse has drowned, or what if she tried to get up and hurt Ashley and ASHLEY has drowned?

We're almost back, and I hear "NIKI!" and I screamed back that I could hear her. The next words I hear are "I GOT HER OUT!" I started sobbing, and that pony galloped the last few turns to reach them, where Ashley was riding my very prancy Arab down the trail towards us. I couldn't even breath I was sobbing so hard when I started hugging her.

This wasn't just a day about saving my horse. The unbelievable heart and courage that we saw from all THREE horses today was unreal. Zierra spent 2 HOURS on her side in that bog, with Ashley sitting in a disgusting filthy bog, holding her nose out of the water and talking to her. We are dubbing her the TRUE horse whisperer now, because at some point Zierra decided she was worth fighting for and in one mighty heave, exploded herself out of the bog in one movement. Ashley had to let go of the reins because of the depth, and Zierra leaped out until she was standing in only water and WAITED for Ashley (Arabian loyalty at it's finest). She proceeded to stand and wait for the 15 year old child to climb onto her back and carried her out of the marsh and down the trail until we met them. This horse has piled full grown men into the ground who dared ride her.

Ashley's pony Justus traveled over 30kms today, and a good 15km of that was at a gallop/canter or fast trot. She never faltered, she knew I needed her, and even when she was tired, she continued on gamely. She stood quietly in the bog, waiting for us to make a move, never moving despite being belly deep in water and sunk to her fetlocks.

Shay-las 3 year old Eve was a spectacle of disbelief. She's only recently started trail riding, and she cantered almost the entire way back without faltering, without spooking, without resisting. When we found Zierra and Ashley, Zierra had badly twisted her shoe and couldn't be ridden, so Eve continued to amaze everyone by allowing me and Shay-la to double on her while Zierra was ponied back to the ranch. She accurately navigated badly boggy patches of turf, keeping us safe and stable and never taking a false step.

At the end of it all, it was a truly amazing day to witness what three women with three loyal and courageous mares can get done in a moment of pure desperation.

The map that explains our day - we began our ride at the blue dot, and rode the blue line until meeting the red line where we hung a right to explore the Hazelnut trail. The red dot shows where we got stuck, and the red line shows the route I had to gallop back on the pony to get help. We followed that same course going back to get Zierra and finally going home. The red line alone is approx. 6-7km.

Zierra stuck in the bog the way I left her to go get help. We had been originally riding in the opposite direction that she's facing, and managed to get her turned around at least this far.

This shows the "ridge" where the bog starts - we're standing in waist deep water, but it's not "boggy" where we are, or at least, it's passable.

Home from our ordeal and heading for a bath

Which one is dirtier? My paddock boots are wrecked, full of mud and water, and my jeans are filthy and drenched. My saddle is wrecked, it used to be pale tan.

The clean side of my saddle, showing the back part tan, the color it USED to be.

The dirty side - the entire thing was FULL of mud, I had to spray the hose into the tree to get all the clumps out.

Her twisted shoe - she has toe clips and the entire thing bent UNDER her foot, between the wall and the shoe and was gouging her.

We had to pry it off as no farrier was available.

Bath time!

She wasn't impressed at first, who can blame her? I've had enough water for one day as well!

Attempting to clean my saddle.

Attempting to clean my horse.

Her dirty tired face.

Almost clean and surprisingly in good shape - aside from her shoe and a cinch sore, she's none the worse for wear!

More pics coming.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm surprised she didn't get more damage than she did.
Extra treats for the horses today

#4 ·
^

Last year, two girls weren't so lucky when their horse went down in the SAME bog. Almost broke his leg and was laid up for months, they had to sic DOGS on him to convince him to get out, there's just NO way to get leverage and pull.

We're going back with warning signs. I don't know what freak of nature marks a public horse trail through a marsh with bog holes, but it's happened a few too many times already for nobody to do anything about this.

#12 ·
^

Last year, two girls weren't so lucky when their horse went down in the SAME bog. Almost broke his leg and was laid up for months, they had to sic DOGS on him to convince him to get out, there's just NO way to get leverage and pull.

Sorry, confused by this. If you knew there was this problem there why did you take your horse thru there?

So glad everyone is OK.

#7 ·
In fl we have lots of swamps. they are very dangerouse. I used to ride a trail where it went around the swamp. I was always seeing dead animals floating around in it. I've also herd ofr horses and riders dieing in there to. I'm glad you guys are alright. you might want to have her looked at by a vet just in case.

#8 ·
What a bunch of brave girls! We had a similar situation a few months back while riding my friends paint on a routine trail ride. We got down in the bog where we hadnt ridden since summer. It was winter and the bog got deeper. Poor izzy went in over his back. I had muck up to my belly button. He stayed calm (unlike izzy!) and I felt him gather himself and LAUNCH out of the bog onto solid ground. I was soooo scared! I can only imagine how you felt! What a great job you guys did!

#10 ·
That would have been absolutely terrifying. I've always been scared of that happening - Ever since I read 'The Quicksand Pony'.

I'm glad you guys got out ok - it's time like those that really test the mettle of our horses, i'm glad they came through for you.

Glad everyone is ok!

#11 ·
Scary scary. At least she got out okay. I did something similar with Jester but I had to hold into his tail and he hauled me out because I was alone riding by the lake and we just sunk almost instantly. No warning. I was in worse shape than him though, and thank god for that. I can only vaguely imagine how freaked you must have been.
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
I've been there. We needed a back hoe to get the old boy out. It really is scary and I'm sure you worried all night long and didn't feel better until you saw her this morning. I'm glad she's ok. Scary stuff huh?

#15 ·
My friends always want to ride/swim into the flooded cornfields and regular fields around here. As small of a chance as it is that my horse could sink in the muddy mess below the water it has always terrified me so I refuse to go in. Unless it's a deep creek, easy river, or a small lake that is known to be completely safe I don't trust it.
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
Micky
Horses are natural born swimmers. The size of their chest and lungs give them a significant bouancy aid. But bogs are not included.

I have swum on horse back whilst sitting in the saddle in a lake and in the sea - that's where the waves come in. No problems.
The horses were swimming along and me, well I was up in the saddle as though on a canoe.

The horse's hooves make a naturally shaped paddle and a horse can swim for hours - it is the temperature of the water that makes the difference. Be careful of very cold water.

But bogs - oh be careful. We have moors in Britain and they can be fun to ride. But if you are mounted on a local horse then they know what to be careful of and bogs are such things. If the terrain is boggy then let the horse choose the way and listen to it.

I won't ever take my own horse across to the moors where the bogs are. She would not know the way out.

Two of the memorable moments in my life with horses are associated with bogs. In both cases the horses went down into the bogs to their knees with me still mounted. To get off or not to get off - that was the question.
I am still here so we - that's the horses (William & Puddy) and me -, must have made the right decisions.
And by the look of those photos - so did you make the right decisions. Well done.
Give that horse of yours a special treat.

PS Get those signposts changed.

#17 ·
I'm so glad everyone is okay. My heart was pounding just reading about it. Those horses need a good treat. And here's hoping your mare doesn't now have an intense fear of water.

Lesson learned though, eh? Don't ever take a horse through unknown water. My friend took her horse into water once, but there was boards with nails sticking out under the surface, and when her mare fell [also an Arab, who handled the whole situation quite well] she gouged her knee open. It's amazing that she's sound as a dime today.

#19 ·
It's hard to tell on trail. A friend of mine went to cross a creek and ended up calling a tow truck to get her old boy out. My pond was perfectly safe until we had a bad rainstorm that washed the caldren pipe away. I had no idea how swampy it had gotten, within just a few days time.

#20 ·
I think I'm annoyed because from the sound of the ranch hands, this happens on a somewhat frequent basis. They just completely re-marked all trails this year, so is it really that difficult to put up a warning sign saying it COULD be boggy? I guess it was very stupid on my own behalf, but these trails are completely manicured by the province (being a provincial park) and checked regularly. I could understand if we ventured off on our own, but this was a clearly marked (and recently RE-MARKED) trail specifically designated for horses and hikers.

I definitely know better, but I never would have tried it if it hadn't been designated. And I understand people not realizing it IS boggy, but this has happened on numerous occasions now over the last several years so that's a somewhat lousy excuse, they DO know it happens.

I know it's nobody's fault but my own for being so naive, it's just hard to not be annoyed, knowing others have endured this EXACT same thing and nothing has ever been done.

#21 ·
Wow, my heart was pounding reading that story. Great job on everyones bravery, especially the three year old!

I think the saying should be "Horses; mans best friend, they just can't sleep on the end of the bed." :)

I'm so glad everyone is alright.

#22 ·
What a harrowing story. Sort of amazing Zierra escaped with just a bent shoe, and no one else was injured.

You ALL acted admirably in response to the situation. I agree, I would somehow find a way to put up a horse-eating bog warning, if possible. If it happens so often no one should really have a problem with someone putting up a sign? Or is there some sort of regulation that prohibits one from erecting like, maybe a small signpost on the side of the trail?

#23 ·
Shay-las mom wants me to blow up the photo of Zierra laying in the bog to 8 x 10 and mount it on a sign that just says "CAREFUL". :lol: Ashley updated her Facebook with "Stupid horse-stealing bogs" so I think we're going to make a sign that says "WARNING! Dangerous horse-stealing bog ahead!" and have a photo of Zierra underneath.

Everyone is great today. No swelling, no heat, good legs, and everyone got a deep liniment massage on their legs and muscles today just for extra measure.

It looks as if I may be able to restore my saddle to some degree of usability, although the leather is completely water stained. That's what I get for trying to battle bogs with a rough out show saddle I guess! It may end up looking even better because it already had water stains on it from sweat and crossing water!

#26 ·
Scariest moment ever answering your phone call...but knowing how freaked out and scared you were, it was all I could do to try keeping you calm. Like I commented on FB, I couldn't be more proud of Eve and Justus...I kind of expected for Justus to give her all, but Eve gleefully surprised me! And Zierra's the arab with neverending spirit and human loyalty. Brought a tear to my eye lastnight imagining Ashley laying with her, holding her nose above the water to let her rest, then HEAVING herself out and WAITING for her to catch up and mount...heartwarming in heindsight.

A warning sign will be up by next weekend, plain stupid NOT to have one already considering it's a groomed and marked for hiking and horses...we plan to fix that.
Posted via Mobile Device

#27 ·
Wow, that is scary... it's a good thing she didn't flail and she stayed calm... could have been really bad

Although if that happened to MY horse, the last thing on my mind would be to snap pictures... I'd be frantic trying to get help

#36 ·
Are you f***ing KIDDING me? I was STRANDED in a friggin swamp for an HOUR waiting for help before I made the excruciating decision to leave the 15 year old CHILD behind and go for help because nobody knew where we were!

Keep your effing opinions to yourself you brain dead COW if you DARE to call into question my loyalty, love and decisions for my horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.