The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What is a Good High Wither Relief Saddle Pad? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/what-good-high-wither-relief-saddle-61257/)

tricia 08-01-2010 11:27 PM

What is a Good High Wither Relief Saddle Pad?

hey y'all, so i have a high withered thoroughbred and i am trying to find a saddle pad that will provide some wither relief. I have been using a front riser but it isn't working like i would like it to. I want something that will be softer, and cause less pressure, than the riser (after i have rideen him enough to sweat and i take the saddle off i can see where the riser was causing to much pressure and there is no sweat). My trainer showed me a pad that had a cut out where the withers are, but i was wondering if anybody had any suggestions? Thanks so much :)

QHDragon 08-02-2010 10:46 AM

Are you looking for something to make your saddle fit better? Or a pad that won't rub on the withers?

For helping the saddle out I really like the skito pads.

Eolith 08-02-2010 11:05 AM

I've heard great things about the skito pads, but I've gone through heck trying to order one. I was about to order one last week when I found out that the base price had gone from $150 to $210. Add to that all of the "extras" that I needed for my particular horse plus shipping and it was about $270.

Not only that, I was told that they're so overwhelmed with orders that it would be 8-10 WEEKS before I got my three hundred dollar pad.

I did some more shopping around I think I'll end up getting a Grandeur pad. I don't know if it would help with your particular situation, but it has the open cell foam that the skito pads do, as well as sheepskin. The foam panels are split in the middle to allow for relief of the spine. The foam is also meant to gradually warm up and sort of "mold" to the horse's back.

Action Rider Tack, Inc.

tricia 08-02-2010 01:34 PM

QHDragon-
i need something that lifts the saddle off his withers b/c my saddle doesn't provide enough wither clearence. I want something that is more like a fleece and is softer than my actual riser.

Eolith-
That looks like a possible choice, i wouldn't want to spend that much money and then it not work, lol :)