The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What? Sending horse to slaughter because she won't pick up her feet??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-sending-horse-slaughter-because-she-61350/)

Equus_girl 08-03-2010 12:23 PM

What? Sending horse to slaughter because she won't pick up her feet???

I can't believe that no one could work with this horse. If her hind feet are the only problem I'm sure that could be solved. I would look at her but there is no way I could afford a horse at this time. If anyone in Alberta is interested here is the link. If this mare is quiet for everything else but her hind feet I can't see that she couldn't be trained out of that.

reg.morgan/ - St. Albert Livestock For Sale - Kijiji St. Albert

ErikaLynn 08-03-2010 12:29 PM

Are you serious? The person selling her sounds like a jerk from what they have written in the ad. The horse probably doesnt like the owner. If i lived in Canada I would buy her in a second. I hope someone buys her.

Equus_girl 08-03-2010 03:28 PM

I just can't believe it! I would try to get her, however I know I could never afford it. If her feet are her only issue however I'm sure someone would have a very nice horse there. She's gorgeous and registered too. I sure hope someone buys her!

Alwaysbehind 08-03-2010 03:31 PM

I read the ad that she is dangerous and they have tried and they do not want someone to get hurt.

To me that seems reasonable.

I do not agree with them trying to sell her though. If she is dangerous she is dangerous.

More than likely they are using the going to slaughter line to get someone bleeding heart to run over and buy her.

Speed Racer 08-03-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 708861)
More than likely they are using the going to slaughter line to get someone bleeding heart to run over and buy her.

Agreed, Always.

I don't like emotional manipulation, so even if this were the perfect horse, the "buy it now or it goes to slaughter" line would turn me off completely.

They're counting on someone like the OP to run over and 'save' the animal. The horse is probably rank and dangerous, which is why they're trying to pawn it off on some unsuspecting, kind hearted, soft headed soul.

farmpony84 08-03-2010 03:43 PM

Sounds to me like she's not broke and she has a few issues. These people just want a quick sell.

zanyoutthere 08-03-2010 08:06 PM

Yeah i dont give a hoot if the horse is not broke and is a brat..i wouldnt let her go to a slaughter house no matter how bad she is. Horses can get trained out of that,

Equus_girl 08-03-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanyoutthere (Post 709092)
Yeah i dont give a hoot if the horse is not broke and is a brat..i wouldnt let her go to a slaughter house no matter how bad she is. Horses can get trained out of that,

I know! I could maybe see if she were some crazy horse that charged people, kicked, bit, struck and reared all the time. That would classify as dangerous. However, I have worked with horses that were not good with their feet and there are many ways of training them out of it. And ways that are pretty safe for the handler too. By no means did I think any of them were a right off and should go for slaughter. :-x

But I do see the others view point in that she might have other issues we don't know of. Maybe they aren't telling everything.

smrobs 08-04-2010 01:46 AM

My brother has a gelding that is otherwise a wonderful horse (a little touchy and snorty due to abuse issues from his youth), but is a downright dangerous monster if you try to mess with his back feet. As a result, he has been barefoot and untrimmed on his backs for about 12 years now. Some horses can't get over their issues regardless of training, but sometimes a common ground can be found by the right person.

Alwaysbehind 08-04-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 709358)
My brother has a gelding that is otherwise a wonderful horse (a little touchy and snorty due to abuse issues from his youth), but is a downright dangerous monster if you try to mess with his back feet. As a result, he has been barefoot and untrimmed on his backs for about 12 years now. Some horses can't get over their issues regardless of training, but sometimes a common ground can be found by the right person.

So ignoring the problem and having the feet grow is finding common ground?

I guess it is a good thing that this particular horse you are discussing seems to not need its hinds trimmed.

What would happen if there was a medical issue that required the hinds to be handled and lifted daily?

Ignoring an issue like picking up feet is never a good idea.