The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Teaching how to shake... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/teaching-how-shake-61388/)

zanyoutthere 08-03-2010 07:44 PM

Teaching how to shake...

HI :)....OKay so i tought on of my geldings how to shake. I just thought it would be nice to share how i tought him to incase any of you would give it a shot.
1st step: Get a carrot, treat, apple, etc.
2nd step: up your horses leg and say "Shake". Give him/her the treat.
3rd step: then go to tapping his/her shoulder until he give you his leg. then give his the treat.
4th step:Now start tapping his knee until he gives you his leg as your saying "Shake".
5th step: keep doing this for a few weeks then eventually all you say is "shake" and he will give you his leg :)

Any questions ask. I also have tought a few of my horses how to "dance" i guess you would call it ha, so if u wana kno how to do that..Ask :)

Kayty 08-04-2010 08:40 AM

Playing devils advocate here, but just keep a mindful eye that shake doesn't turn into strike, which is very dangerous and an aggressive gesture. If the horse associates lifting it's leg at you as something that gets it food, then it may well turn into an unwelcome strike.

Alwaysbehind 08-04-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 709439)
Playing devils advocate here, but just keep a mindful eye that shake doesn't turn into strike, which is very dangerous and an aggressive gesture. If the horse associates lifting it's leg at you as something that gets it food, then it may well turn into an unwelcome strike.

So true!

And since you taught him that tapping him on the shoulder/knee/leg gets him a treat for striking out with his leg, please be careful any time you have strangers near your horse. I can see a small child patting the shoulder and getting nailed in the face with the knee or hoof when your horse thinks it is supposed to shake.

Tricks are cool. You just have to remember they can lead to bad things too. Best to teach tricks that are not likely to cause someone harm when the horse is trying to get your attention and going through their bag of tricks to get it.

zanyoutthere 08-04-2010 12:43 PM

They only give their leg to the word "Shake". So its perfectly safe.

Kayty 08-04-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanyoutthere (Post 709653)
They only give their leg to the word "Shake". So its perfectly safe.

When you're working on the final stages of the trick, then yes. However when a horse wants something, it will go through it's whole 'bag of tricks' until you give it the carrot or whatever it's after. This could result in a frustrated 'shake' - aka a strike at you.
You are also teaching the horse to lift its leg from a cue at the shoulder. Just because the final 'result' if it's successful, is for the horse to act soley off a voice command, doesn't mean it won't also react to a touch of it's shoulder/knee.
Hell, I teach all my horses voice commands under saddle, by teaching first with leg at the same time. But they still react to leg/rein/seat aids as well.

Alwaysbehind 08-05-2010 08:17 AM

Thank you Kayty, you explained that far better than I did.

I have met way too many people who thought it was cute to teach their dog to shake and then are frustrated when they are packing their lunch for work the dog sits there and paws them and ruins their stockings. The dog is just doing what you taught it to - when I paw at you, I get treats, you have food I want so if I do what you showed me you will give me your food.

Same holds true for horses.

zanyoutthere 08-05-2010 10:59 PM

Yeah i understand and I am experianced enough to know the consiquences. That was for STARTING them off..I've worked on making it so when you touch the shoulder or knee he does nothing.

Kayty 08-05-2010 11:06 PM

You may be 'experienced' enough, but putting up 'instructions' on a horse forum full of unexperienced, or very young, horse lovers is probably not a good idea, if you yourself are aware of the dangers. Why not post how to FINISH the trick off, as you seem to know how to teach them not to strike? Just to keep the kids who try this safe :)