The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Advice on Dentist or Vet for teeth floating (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/advice-dentist-vet-teeth-floating-61399/)

Equus_girl 08-03-2010 10:02 PM

Advice on Dentist or Vet for teeth floating

I am needing to get Berdi's teeth done soon. This is my first experience with teeth floating so I need some advice. I have the numbers of an Equine Dentist and a Vet. I would think that being an Equine Dentist he is probably the one to go with. However I know Berdi will need to be sedated (she's very touchy about that type of stuff) and I'm wondering if Dentists are qualified to sedate or if they must have a vet there.

If that is the case I am better off choosing the vet as they both will have quite a distance for the farm call - 45 min. to an hour. I'm planning on phoning them tomorrow night and getting some info but I was hoping to get some advice from everyone here.

If anyone would be interested in sharing what is all involved in the floating I would be very interested too! Thank-you! :D

yukontanya 08-03-2010 10:55 PM

Heres a video of my boy Cash getting his teeth done. He looks like crap... under weight, and holding on to his winter coat. He came to me about another 100lb underweight, getting his teeth done helped him put on weight. Hope this helps..

corinowalk 08-03-2010 11:01 PM

I would go to the vet for the first one. Especially if they will need sedated. I think the regulations on sedation go from state to state. Here in PA only vets can sedate. I prefer a Dentist (vets have enough on their plate!) but my boy needs sedated for it. We usually try to get it all done at once so we don't have to pay several farm calls. Usually around spring/fall when everyone needs shots and such.

wyominggrandma 08-04-2010 12:14 AM

See if you vet or dentist uses an electric file. It works so much better and the vet/dentist is able to get the teeth filed and rounded so much faster.

ninjahorse 08-04-2010 12:37 AM

I volunteer for an equine vet in my area and last time I was with him we had to do 5 or 6 floating jobs. There was a dentist there to do 2 of the horses. In Illinois vets are the only ones who can sedate. The vet I volunteer for didn't like the dentist because he thought she charged to much ($200-$300) and she wanted to pull a tooth that didn't need to be pulled. He ended up doing the other horses without a problem for about only $50. So I would definately go with the vet. Ask them is they can float your horses teeth. They will most likely be much cheaper.

corinowalk 08-04-2010 01:16 AM

My vet didnt even charge for the actual procedure, just the sedation. When you do a big package (shots, major deworming, bloodwork and teeth) she usually throws something in. Some vets are just good like that

My Beau 08-04-2010 08:52 AM

I always go with a dentist... mine charges $75 for a float, which I think is VERY reasonable.

This spring when my horses' got their vaccinations I had the vet attempt floats, she decided Beau didn't need one (in my opinion he did - I could see hooks starting). And Daisy bit her (not on purpose) because she just shoved her hand in her mouth instead of using a speculum. So she got mad and said she could not finish her that day. My vets are great, but for dentistry, I'll stick to the dentist.

Equus_girl 08-04-2010 09:46 AM

Thank-you for the advice! I will make a couple calls to both the dentist and vet and see who is cheaper and if the dentist even does sedation.

Cowgirl140ty 08-04-2010 09:57 AM

I agree with My Beau... I will only use a dentist for my horses teeth. They may charge more but they went to school and studied a horses mouth. Where a vet may have spent a little time there. I have seen many people in this area use vets only to mess up a horses teeth. My thought on the price issue is you get what you pay for. And about the sedation... Im in Fl and they are allowed to sedate. But I have the drugs to do so myself if need be.

Equus_girl 08-04-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowgirl140ty (Post 709502)
I agree with My Beau... I will only use a dentist for my horses teeth. They may charge more but they went to school and studied a horses mouth. Where a vet may have spent a little time there. I have seen many people in this area use vets only to mess up a horses teeth. My thought on the price issue is you get what you pay for. And about the sedation... Im in Fl and they are allowed to sedate. But I have the drugs to do so myself if need be.

Really? Where do you get the drugs to sedate your own horse? I only thought vets do that. That makes sense that the dentist would be better as they studied it more. I'll let you know which way I go with it all after I make some phone calls.