The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   English Show Help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/english-show-help-61427/)

Kaylerz 08-04-2010 09:06 AM

English Show Help

I am thinking about entering my pony and I into a 2' jumping class, but I'm not sure of the expenses. How much will it cost to enter? An since I just turned 13 am I required to wear tall boots?

Rowzy 08-04-2010 11:40 AM

Cost to enter depends on the show. For example, schooling shows around here are 8 dollars a class, and 20 dollars for a stall, but actual shows would cost a fair bit more (I think). As for tall boots, all shows are going require "boots with heels", and for english tall boots are the most appropriate, however some people use the shorter boots with half chaps. You will also be required to wear a helmet most likely.

maura 08-04-2010 11:59 AM

Rowzy, I'm guessing she means a 2' hunter class, and as a 13 yo on a pony, the question is jods and paddock boots vs. tall boots?

If it's a schooling *jumper* class, it doesn't matter as much, and jods and paddock boots are probably ok; if it's a hunter or eq class, it depends on your show circuit, the size of the pony, and how old you *look* as opposed to how old you actually are.

For your first show, I might stick with jods and paddock boots, but at 13, even on a pony, you'll want to be moving to tall boots sooner rather than later.

Alwaysbehind 08-04-2010 12:26 PM

I agree with Maura.

How much it costs is VERY dependent on the area and the show and....

Class fees
Grounds fee
EMT fee
Membership fee
Stall
Bedding for stall
Trainer schooling/training fee
Trainer day fee
Trucking

ErikaLynn 08-09-2010 04:39 PM

if you look at the show's prize list, it usually tells you the price per class.

VelvetsAB 08-18-2010 11:49 PM

Some day shows you wont have to rent a stall, which is fine in the summer since you can just use the trailer, but in the winter its better to have a stall. (Unless you are lucky enough to live somewhere that it doesnt get really cold or lots of snow!)

If it is a schooling show, it will be much cheaper then a rated show. The past 3 schooling shows I have been to have cost $10 per class, $3 warmup per division, $7 office fee, $30ish in school horse rental, and about 35 for coaching. Luckily all 3 shows were at my barn so I didnt have to pay for trailering.

Maura is right on about the boots. Moving up would be better sooner. You might luck out and be able to find a GOOD pair of used boots, since most likely will still be growing over the next few years. Or you can get a pair of cheaper boots that work just as well. I wore a pair of rubber boots from about '99 till last year and finally had to get a new pair cause they smelled. Leather would be a much better option for showing though....they give better ankle support.