The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Buying My First Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/buying-my-first-horse-61482/)

Puddintat 08-04-2010 10:43 PM

Buying My First Horse

I've been riding off and on for quite some time. I still consider myself a beginner. I broke my arm from a riding fall about 10 years ago so I still get scared sometimes on the back of a horse but I still find it too fun to stop riding altogether. As of now I only walk and trot, too scared to canter. I have been leasing a horse and have considered buying one because all the horses I lease either move or I have to stop riding them for some reason or another. The lady who owns the barn I'm at now told me about a 15 year old paint that she thought would be good for me. I was wondering if you guys think that is too old or if I should go for a younger model. Also, do you guys think that horse insurance is worth it? I don't mind the horse being older, its kinda nice, but most insurance companies only cover horses that are 15 and under. I have plenty of people to help me to choose the right horse but I'm looking for help anywhere I can get it.

Thanx.:smile:

EventersBabe 08-04-2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddintat (Post 710204)
I've been riding off and on for quite some time. I still consider myself a beginner. I broke my arm from a riding fall about 10 years ago so I still get scared sometimes on the back of a horse but I still find it too fun to stop riding altogether. As of now I only walk and trot, too scared to canter. I have been leasing a horse and have considered buying one because all the horses I lease either move or I have to stop riding them for some reason or another. The lady who owns the barn I'm at now told me about a 15 year old paint that she thought would be good for me. I was wondering if you guys think that is too old or if I should go for a younger model. Also, do you guys think that horse insurance is worth it? I don't mind the horse being older, its kinda nice, but most insurance companies only cover horses that are 15 and under. I have plenty of people to help me to choose the right horse but I'm looking for help anywhere I can get it.

Thanx.:smile:

15 years old is just fine.

lilruffian 08-04-2010 11:05 PM

15 is a good age. They're usually more experienced than younger horses & more set in their ways. This isn't true for every horse, but i have a 16 year old arabian (i bought her when she was 14) and i can leave her for months, get on & she's just as good as if iv ridden her every day. My 6 year old is good as well, but she needs to be ridden more consistently because she's young.

eventingstar 05-26-2011 06:03 PM

my first horse was 25 when i bought her and she acted like she was 4. but age is only a factor for if you buying to horse to compete on or just ride around home. i took my 25yr old mare to a 3-day event and we placed 4th across the board. just remember when buying an older horse you may be buying into health issues and more frequent injuries but thats not to say that a younger horse isnt going to be the same.

reiningfan 05-26-2011 07:27 PM

When I help beginners find a horse, I rarely suggest a horse under 12 years old unless I know it well. An older horse is generally quieter and has more experience under it's saddle.
If you are concerned about lameness issues, you can always get a vet to do a prepurchase exam. A PPE is a good idea regardless, but especially as a less experienced owner. You don't want to get the wrong horse and end up soured on horse ownership.
Posted via Mobile Device

HorseinJ 05-27-2011 12:07 AM

But why buy a horse so old for? You cant get that much out of it after 10 years of age or so right? I am going to buy my first horse and he'll be no older then 5.

reiningfan 05-27-2011 12:21 AM

Seriously? I was still riding & competing on one of my horses till he was in his twenties. 15 is a perfect age for a less than confident rider.
My current speed event horse is 12. We went to provincial finals and got 3rd in pole bending, with a major rider error and her being pregnant.
For a 1st horse, I don't recommend a young one. Well, maybe if the rider is highly experienced and has taken lessons for years and years. A 5 year old is often not got the miles on him to be a good horse for a newer rider. Especially one with confidence issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArabianLover2456 05-27-2011 09:43 AM

A girl I know has a horse 25 still competing 1 meter shop jumping classes. :|

Speed Racer 05-27-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseinJ (Post 1047681)
But why buy a horse so old for? You cant get that much out of it after 10 years of age or so right? I am going to buy my first horse and he'll be no older then 5.

Incorrect. The older the horse, the more knowledgeable, experienced, and kind they are, which is just what a newbie owner needs.

Besides, many breeds like Arabians don't even hit their stride until they're in their teens, and can go another 15-20 years after that.

Elmer Bandit was a Tevis Cup endurance winner at 38 y/o.

Never rule out an older horse.

HorseinJ 05-28-2011 02:13 AM

Well you said it your yourself never count out an older horse. Like it's an underdog, not all horses are the same and many of the older ones has lots of wear on them. Vet bills and all. Start out with a young horse and maybe teach the horse yourself for a first timer thats how you get good IMO. Not pay someone to teach you, that is blowing money when you can use it to spend on feed.