The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Ideas for Earning Money for my Lessons? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/ideas-earning-money-my-lessons-61501/)

grayfalls 08-05-2010 09:28 AM

Ideas for Earning Money for my Lessons?

I switched to a new stable where I can do classes that are an hour each, but they cost alot ($40) so I can only take a lesson every two weeks. At this rate, I'll probably learn less than someone who's five years younger than me. I really want to start taking lessons weekly again but it's virtually impossible to come up with $80 every month. I babysit, do chores, and yardwork (I don't get paid for the yardwork though) yet still I'm not making even close to that. I've been saving every penny of my money that have, but I have to put half in my bank account for a car when I am older. Is there any other ideas out there that could help me earn some money?

ErikaLynn 08-05-2010 10:02 AM

How old are you? is it possible for you to get a job?

grayfalls 08-05-2010 10:06 AM

I am 12, so I won't be able to do a real job for two years. Right now all I do is babysitting but I'm thinking about doing dog walking, too.

A knack for horses 08-05-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayfalls (Post 710426)
I am 12, so I won't be able to do a real job for two years. Right now all I do is babysitting but I'm thinking about doing dog walking, too.

Dogwalking can pay a lot of money, depending on where you live. I know in bigger cities, some people make dog walking thier career.

Can you talk to your lesson instructor and see if you can maybe work some of the lesson costs off? even if you can only get $10 off a week, that is still a big saving in the long run.

Also, do you have stuff laying around that you no longer use anymore? Maybe you can hold a yard sale.

Hope this helps!

Alwaysbehind 08-05-2010 11:31 AM

How about asking your neighbors if they would like to have you do some yard work for them? That can turn into a pretty good money maker if you show yourself to be dependable.

I spent a chunk of my life only riding every other week too because my family could not afford lessons every week.
You are right, you will progress slower than the people riding every week.
But think about it this way, the people riding every week will progress slower than those riding 2x per week, etc.
Every other week is better than not riding at all.

grayfalls 08-05-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwaysbehind (Post 710497)
Every other week is better than not riding at all.

Very true! :wink: And thanks for the tip! Once school starts up, maybe I could post an ad on our school board. I don't have very many neighbors around, I'd have to walk a long distance, but it would be worth it!

I also entered in some design contest for a reward of $1,000, and that would help a lot of I won... *floats off dreamily* Well, I better not keep my hopes too high.

Alwaysbehind 08-05-2010 11:56 AM

Dreaming is good though. As long as you do not spend the money before you get it.

Is there a small paper route that you could do on your bike? (Do they still have kids delivering that stuff?) I had one at your age.

Have you asked your parents about ideas of ways you can earn money outside the home?

Do you go to a church? Are you old enough to help out in the nursery/child care area? That would be volunteer but if you show yourself to be responsible there (maybe take a babysitting course if there is one near you) I bet it could lead to more baby sitting jobs.

A kid that is willing to work hard can usually find their way into work. Even if they have to start out working for free.

There is one kid at the barn that works her behind off. If you need anything she will do it, no questions asked. She wants to learn, she wants to work. She now gets free rides. Owners asking her to hack for them when they are not around, extra lessons when her favorite horse is not being used and her instructor wants to say thanks for the hard work, etc.

kitten_Val 08-05-2010 12:29 PM

I very much respect your try to earn money for the lessons in the age of 12. And I agree with others once every 2 weeks is MUCH better than nothing, and not everyone can afford taking lessons on regular basis (I started very recently and I'm an adult).

I can't really think of anything else but mowing the grass and helping out with the yard work (you can also suggest neighbors to help cleaning garage). But did you talk to BO (or the trainer) about exchanging the barn work (mucking, feeding, grooming) for the lesson time? I know several lesson barns around here have this "program": you work and earn lesson time.

ErikaLynn 08-05-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayfalls (Post 710426)

Dog walking sounds like a great idea. Maybe you could also see if you can get some lessons in exchange for cleaning stalls at the barn, or helping out around the farm.

grayfalls 08-05-2010 01:36 PM

Thanks so much everyone! I will take all these ideas into consideration.
As for the helping out idea, that sounds great since the stable is only a five minute drive from here. Maybe my mom could drop me off on weekends or something.
I've been wanting to own a horse for awhile (but I lack the knowledge of care) so this would be a great experience where I could learn how to care for them too! Thanks again!! :D