The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Feeding Oats (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/feeding-oats-6152/)

dutch 02-17-2008 12:29 PM

Feeding Oats

Has anyone ever had oats give their horse diahrrea?

buckaroo2010 02-17-2008 10:32 PM

hmmmm..i have never heard of that one either but i dont feed my horses oats bc i heard it can makes them to hyper and wirey :shock:

dutch 02-17-2008 11:14 PM

Now I never heard THAT one, has anyone else?

JustDressageIt 02-17-2008 11:46 PM

Yes, it is a hot feed, meaning it can make horses a little wired... which is why I don't feed it regularily and only use a handful every once in a while as a treat.
I have never heard of it causing diahrrea though.

Delregans Way 02-17-2008 11:49 PM

Oats are a wonderful natural food for horses, althou to be fed in moderation. It can make some horses "hot headed"... never heard of it giving them the runs

kim_angel 02-19-2008 11:57 AM

I have seen a horse founder that was being fed a diet high in Oats.
:(

kitten_Val 02-19-2008 12:48 PM

Just curious... I checked the pelleted feed and it does have grain in it as well. How different is that from pure oats then? (I mean 2-3 lbs of pelleted according to instruction versus say small cup of oats)

AKPaintLover 02-19-2008 04:11 PM

I used to feed a diet high in oats before I knew better.

Yes, it can cause diarrhea. I did not have as much of an issue with horses becoming wired, although it probably depends on the horse.

If I am remembering correctly, oats are high carb, low protein. The carbs would be beneficial, but you also need a decent amount of protein as well (not too high though). Therefore, you would have to feed quite a lot of oats to reach the needed nutrient requirement, which in turn would probably cause diarrhea more easily and a hyper horse.

i have found that I really like the concentrate feeds that list the %nutrients right on the bag - and it gives recommended feeding amounts. I have thought about even blending in a small amount of pelleted alfalfa for my stallion who has some lethargy issues if his diet is not giving him enough energy, but for most horses, I would probably avoid the alfalfa or use it in extreme moderation. Our mare became a nut case when receiving it.

Sorry about the unnecessary tangent - my mind was drifting a bit. :)

DGW1949 02-20-2008 05:02 AM

Grains are basicly seeds, most of which (including oats) don't digest very well.

DGW