The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Molasses-How much? Please help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/molasses-how-much-please-help-61561/)

horsesroqke 08-06-2010 12:28 AM

Molasses-How much? Please help!

So we just bought a 5litre bottle of molasses, being told by people to add it to our FibrePro Chaff, which we have, but how much? For now, we've just added a dollop (Bout a tbsp) And mixed it really well becuase im paranoid lol, tonight will be our first night giving it to her.
She has about a scoop and a half of feed to give you an idea.
Can to much be harmful, and how much would you recommend i add?

Thanks so much :)

wild_spot 08-06-2010 12:43 AM

Why are you feeding molassess?

It is kind of like feeding lollies to a kid. It is straight sugar and not good for them. It causes huge spikes in blood sugar and can lead to Insulin Resistance and Laminitis.

Alwaysbehind 08-06-2010 07:51 AM

I assume you are adding molasses for a reason (I have not searched old posts to see if there are other posts about it).

If the reason is just to get your horse to eat something then I would just start with just a little (like you did) and see if it works. As little is possible to get the job done.

horsesroqke 08-08-2010 06:38 AM

We are feeding it to her because it is high in Vitamin B, and it is good for there nerves, and it helps there coat sheen. We are cutting it down to 1 tbsp every second day, for the reasons above. Also, instead of fighting with her for half an hour, we are going to add it with wormer since she's a pain to worm :) Sorry for not stating what we were using it for.

sachmo 08-08-2010 03:47 PM

None, none, none. Molasses are not a good thing to feed your horse. There are other alternatives and perhaps you could look into a flavoured wormer, they are out there.

luvs2ride1979 08-08-2010 06:18 PM

I agree, none. If you want b-vitamins, buy b-vitamins. If you want good coat sheen, then use flax meal or black oil sunflower seeds. Molasses doesn't have much of anything useful for a horse's diet. If you need to use it to mask medication or dewormers, that's fine, but I would not feed it daily.

luvs2ride1979 08-08-2010 06:18 PM

Also, feeding something every other day does not do any good for a horse's diet.

churumbeque 08-08-2010 06:25 PM

working a horse regularly and lots of grooming will make a shiny coat

horsesroqke 08-09-2010 12:09 AM

Why do they sell it in bulk lots if its no good?
Just wondering, and we've brought it now, so i'll just have to use it up

horsesroqke 08-09-2010 12:10 AM

Oh we have tried plenty of flavored wormers, none work