The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Know an Extremely Alpha Horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/know-extremely-alpha-horse-61571/)

Northern 08-06-2010 03:34 AM

Know an Extremely Alpha Horse?

I've often wished that there was a way to find the most alpha horse in the world, at any given time. Say, to gather the most alpha horse of each country, then let them contend for the spot, with the winner getting its due accolades. Since that isn't going to happen, I thought that it might be fun/interesting to invite forum members to post the most alpha horses they know, with a brief description of their alpha-ness, & pics if possible! Who's got the alpha to beat all alphas?:-P

Jessabel 08-06-2010 06:45 PM

My two horses were at the top of the heap at the old barn. Norman, especially. He was like the mediator. He's always gentle and agreeable when the other horses are behaving, but if a horse tries to push him around, he knocks them into next week. And some of the more timid horses would stay close to him so they wouldn't get picked on. This one really old mare used to cling to him all the time because he protected her from the bullies. =)

smrobs 08-06-2010 09:39 PM

Dobe is my alpha. I swear that I would think he was proud cut if I hadn't been there for the gelding LOL. He will pin his ears and bare his teeth at everything that gets in his way (he is especially vicious toward cattle). This spring, I spent 2 days helping my brother work cattle and instead of trailering back and forth both days, I just kept Dobe with his horses. When I turned him out, he instantly became a herd stallion; rearing, squealing, arched neck, flagged tail, pawing, ears pinned, and teeth bared. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a picture of all that but I do have a pretty good picture of him acting like the big badass with someone twice his size :D.
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...g?t=1281145145

corinowalk 08-06-2010 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ahhh I too thought Nico to be proud cut. He is very showy in the field. His favorite thing to do is to run all the geldings off and herd the mares into a little harem for himself. He is pretty alpha to train also. He likes to be the boss and it took a lot of convincing to show him that I, in fact, am the boss. Here he is on his first time being turned out with the herd.

smrobs 08-06-2010 10:08 PM

Dear Lord LOL. You put Dobe and Nico in a pen together and it would be a knock-down, drag-out fight.

corinowalk 08-06-2010 10:14 PM

We could film it out in the open country...people would think they were wild stallions!

Its funny...Nico actually seems to like other alpha horses. He still bosses them around but not the same way he does to his herd. We have him in with Rosie who is THE boss mare (and twice his size also) and they have a beautiful love hate relationship. She once kicked him so hard in the chest, I thought she killed him. He got up and started chasing her again. I think he has a little-mans complex. Being the shortest in the herd isnt always nice!

TheRoughrider21 08-07-2010 01:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Lakota will challenge horses over the fence, he's struck out at a few as we we're riding. We put him out with a gelding who would chase other geldings threw the fence...Lakota put him in his place. Here's Lakota "playing" with some other horses.

Northern 08-07-2010 01:30 AM

Very interesting! Thanks for pics, too! Any more big bad alphas out thar?

ridergirl23 08-07-2010 01:39 AM

Rena (myu mare) is VERY dominent, but shes a good leader, actually, she reminds me of my mom, lol. Everyone KNOWS shes in control, and they trust and follow her, but she is friendly when she wants to be, she doesnt bully horses, but she makes sure she is on top. lol

Delfina 08-07-2010 02:01 AM

My horse is pasture mates with an extremely aggressive alpha mare. This horse is wonderful to work with (my kiddos learned to ride on her) but boy does she hate other horses. She's had to be kept alone for the past 20 years, done a ton of damage at boarding facilities because she didn't like being near other horses, scared a lot of boarding facility employees silly (we ran into one and she about had a heart attack when she heard that kiddos were riding her) because she learned that if you throw a giant kicking, screaming tantrum at meal time, a very nervous employee will feed you first so you'll stop. Our tack shed currently has 2 nice hoof prints through the door because something annoyed her.

When she was shipped out here, the shipper had to stop partway through the journey and move all the horses around because she was biting the one next to her constantly.

Strangely enough, she and my horse are best buds. We had the whole property divided up to keep the two apart originally but mostly there is no need for it. My horse is as quiet and laid back as you can get and ignores all the screaming, fence kicking and other attempts to rile her up. She's of the opinion that if you want to act like a stupid twit, that's fine and she'll go stand in another corner of the pasture or away from the fence that separates their runs. We feed them separately in their stalls but my horse has learned to open the gate in between the two, goes over and finishes up whatever the other horse leaves. She NEVER would have allowed any other horse to set foot in her stall, much less eat her leftovers. We've even found the two of them spending the night jammed in the same stall.

Took that horse 25 years to make ONE friend, she's going to be one handful to deal with next week since I am moving my horse to my trainer's place.