The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Clydesdales? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/clydesdales-61595/)

abbyshamrock 08-06-2010 11:34 AM

Clydesdales?

Clydesdale's are such a beautiful horse. How do they work and what is there temperament mood? What is your opinion on the breed??

Please explain!!!!!!

ilyTango 08-06-2010 11:54 AM

Well, I've never known any riding ones...in my area they're all driving/heavy plow horses. Clydes, in my experience, are pretty quiet and good natured; they're a lot more easy-going than Percherons (which my dad has =\ ). They're pretty much the ideal of heavy horse-slow, patient, quiet and hard working...the ones around here, anyways. I don't really want to know what the show-bred ones are like! As far as heavy breeds go..yeah, I like them. They're not my favourite breed, but I certainly have nothing bad to say about them as a whole.

SecretariatRuffian 08-06-2010 08:21 PM

I've only met a few, but I've always found them good natured. Never much of a temper, although I prefer shires over them.

abbyshamrock 08-07-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecretariatRuffian (Post 711878)
I've only met a few, but I've always found them good natured. Never much of a temper, although I prefer shires over them.

Why is that? Just wondering :D

RowdyLover 08-07-2010 06:16 AM

I have a clydie cross and he is a doll on the ground and all contained fire in the saddle. Absolutely awesome and I would never give him up.

franknbeans 08-07-2010 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RowdyLover (Post 712205)
I have a clydie cross and he is a doll on the ground and all contained fire in the saddle. Absolutely awesome and I would never give him up.

Same here-Best horse I have ever had. And a barn favorite. Getting a girth to fit right-another story! :D

Java Bean 08-07-2010 08:17 AM

I ride a Clydesdale and am planning on purchasing a Clyde cross soon. I've found the ones I know are very good tempered and always want to please you. They know they can easily push you around but it doesn't seem like that's on their agenda.

They are my favourite large breed but I haven't met many drafts.